Beer Enthusiast Swap?

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
With so many microbreweries its sometimes difficult to try ones that are across the country.
Recently a friend told me about a brew he'd heard about in a magazine:

T.R.E.A.T. Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter

But being that its brewed in AK, it isn't readily available here in GA.

Would anyone be interested in starting a Beer Swap? I'm not sure if this is against any rules of the forum or state laws for that matter. But if it works, it'd be an easy way to deviate from the local that we have available.

Figure to do it on the merit system, if you can't have it out in a day or two then don't say you're going to. If you're not going to send it out at all, don't waste anyones time.

Kind of a rough idea but I think it could work.

Thoughts?

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I facilitated a similar idea on another forum. I had everyone PM me their full names, addresses, and preferred type of beer. Then I randomized it similar to a Secret Santa where you would get the info of someone and mail them local beers of their favorites varieties. Then you would receive your favorite style beers from someone else in another part of the country.

Require people ship via UPS and package very very well. I would put each bottle individually in a plastic sealable bag, then wrap in bubble wrap, in a box with additional padding on the outside. It's not legal to ship alcohol across state lines without a dealer permit, but you can ship "yeast samples" which is what I stated was in the box when I would ship.

When the beer would arrive, the receiver would drink and post reviews about the beers they got. It was pretty fun, but we only did one round because shipping/packaging was relatively expensive (about $20-30 plus beer). I learned that in the mid Southern states (Texas, Oklahoma, Nevada, New Mexico), they have crap beer -- pale ales and light beers... nothing with some robust flavor like a nice porter, stout, or IPA.

If you decide to organize something, I would be interested in doing it.

Last edited:

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
I love great beer (as seen in the beer thread) but as drive xr7 mentioned it's expensive as all heck to ship not to mention if it breaks during shipping you are SOL since it's against Fed ex and UP S'S policy to do so and a Federal crime to ship it via USPS.

And Drive XR7, Jester King is in Texas :poke: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, it is basically illegal to ship alcohol, but there are ways. There aren't to many beers that I would be willing to pay $35 for a six pack(cost+shipping). My friend loves Shorts Brewing here in Mi, but it's not sold outside of Michigan. For Christmas, I usually send him a case, but it is pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread