before my trip next weekend

rwboring

Established Member
For those of you who have gotten their car (and input for those who haven't) what have you seen as in miles per tank? I filled mine up last night with around 1/4 of a tank and I put about 180 miles on it. How many gallons does it take from "low fuel"? It's been about 4 years since I've had a (newer) mustang but it seems like then I would put about 12-13 gallons in it when the light came on.

VaporDude

Established Member
I believe these cars have a 15 1/2 gallon tank. When the light comes on, look at your average MPG. That should help you determine how many gallons are left. If your car is getting 20 MPG, then you have about 2.25 to 2.5 gallons left.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Doesn't it have DTE available on the display? nevermind, reread and see you are looking for gallons, not distance

rwboring

Established Member
I believe these cars have a 15 1/2 gallon tank. When the light comes on, look at your average MPG. That should help you determine how many gallons are left. If your car is getting 20 MPG, then you have about 2.25 to 2.5 gallons left.

I understand this. I am essentially asking if anyone has been down there and what it actually takes.

Honestly it tells how how many gallons are used on the trip so it would be even easier to subtract that from 16gal (per owners manual).

rwboring

Established Member
Doesn't it have DTE available on the display?

You all are missing my point I am just asking from when the light comes on how many gallons does it take. Secondly roughly how many miles are people getting on a tank during a trip.

Mine is setting with a full tank, within a week I will know but I am just asking the question.

VaporDude

Established Member
The new cars don't work like the old car did. On the old cars, when you were down to 2 gallons left, the light would come on. On the new cars, when you hit 50 miles to empty, it comes on. So distance and gallons are not going to be the same for everyone. If someone is getting 15MPG because of a lead foot, he is going to have more gallon in his tank when the light comes vs somoeone with a light foor who gets 25MPG. So there is no definate answer on this one.

rwboring

Established Member
The new cars don't work like the old car did. On the old cars, when you were down to 2 gallons left, the light would come on. On the new cars, when you hit 50 miles to empty, it comes on. So distance and gallons are not going to be the same for everyone. If someone is getting 15MPG because of a lead foot, he is going to have more gallon in his tank when the light comes vs somoeone with a light foor who gets 25MPG. So there is no definate answer on this one.

hell, why didn't you say before! haha

Users who are viewing this thread