Belltech Drop Spindles Question

01RedLightning

EATON HEMI'S!!
Established Member
First off I know people don't like talking about these spindles.
Second, I tried researching BEFORE I ask!

For the question, I recently installed these spindles, I like them, they gave me the look I was going for,but is there a different Setting for the toe, caster and chamber then what the stock specs are? They ate up the outside of my tires and when I took it back to get it re-aligned the specs were still well within the "normal range". My question is even though the computer says there aligned (Example normal range is 18-25 degree's,) Should mine be different to compensate for the 2 inch drop? Any imput would be much appreciated!:beer:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Nope, I would check to make sure all of your bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends are tight. Worn out control arm bushings can cause these issues as well.

IneritaSVT

Fuel Slut
Established Member
If you are wearing tires most likely it you aligement. MAke sure the aligement is for a lightning not jst a F150 or post you aligement specs and we can help you out. It sounds like a toe problem to me.

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
I'd like to hear all the gory details because I just bought a set and I'd like to know whether it's alignment or whether you need the special Ford alignment bolts, or any other parts. I'm also curious about whether you did it yourself or had someone do it for you. I'm toying with the idea of bringing it to my local Ford dealer but I don't know whether they'd laugh me out of the place or just decide its rape and pillage time.

If you had it done (or anyone else) what did it cost you?

chrisheltra

Established Member
OldTimer said:
I'd like to hear all the gory details because I just bought a set and I'd like to know whether it's alignment or whether you need the special Ford alignment bolts, or any other parts. I'm also curious about whether you did it yourself or had someone do it for you. I'm toying with the idea of bringing it to my local Ford dealer but I don't know whether they'd laugh me out of the place or just decide its rape and pillage time.

If you had it done (or anyone else) what did it cost you?

Man do it yourself it shouldnt take more than 2 hrs.

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Something is up with the alignment like stated earlier. My truck is setup with the stock specs and tracks straight and the tires are wearing just fine.

SADF

Established Member
You can easily put these on your selves. I have the Belltech Spindles and DJM lower Control Arms going on in a month with my air suspension and from the research I have done on the suspension forums on various Ford Truck sites the spindles are pretty easy.

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
i just slapped mine on the truck on sunday, the directions said flip over the tie rod so its facing upward. the only issue i have left is when its cranked full right, my pass side rim lip scrapes the bottom control arm. ima have to notch it out a lil, would this decrease stability or anything??

SADF

Established Member
1sweetSVT said:
i just slapped mine on the truck on sunday, the directions said flip over the tie rod so its facing upward. the only issue i have left is when its cranked full right, my pass side rim lip scrapes the bottom control arm. ima have to notch it out a lil, would this decrease stability or anything??

No, if done correcty. Trust me, Im notching alot of stuff: tie rod ends, firewall, rear/4 link

SS THiS

03 Lightning
Established Member
I didn't have a problem with the lower control arm for two years till now. I trimmed alittle off it on saturday! Or u can go 1/4 in spacers!

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
1sweetSVT said:

mine mount like stock, so the nut is still on the bottom and it is giving me horrible bump steer. belltech won't exchange them either since i bought them from summit. someone with stock springs would hardley notice but since i am lowered with springs also it sucks. I have to either make heim tie rod ends or order new drop knuckles from belltech

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
last night i tried to notch the bottom rear of the pass c-arm where the inside lip of the rim was rubbing but it didnt work, i cut about 3/4'' in and about 4'' long but it still rubs so bad the wheel didnt wanna turn and it almost stalls. if i cut anymore i'll be cutting into the small brake line bracket bolted to the c-arm......do our trucks some with anykind of steering stops???

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
I haven't picked mine up yet (bought them NIB from Chris Nelson) so I don't know what problems I might encounter. I'm assuming that they are relatively new as Chris usually seems to only have the latest and greatest parts (I hope!).

Is there a good pictorial online or have any of you guys shot pictures of your install? Nothing like a good "How-To" to ease the mind of us who are about to install. BTW, if its an hour a side to do this, should you go for a alignment immediately after your done? I just had a full 4-wheel thrust alignment about1000 miles ago when I put on the new tires. I'm also going to be changing over the rear leafs to TVS and adding the shock extenders. So I figured it would be realigned then.

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
all the horror stories of half nuts, cutting threads and grinding calipers is true but very very simple. you shouldnt have any problems with that.. and yes i wouldnt drive anywhere but straight to the alighnment shop after your done, your toe will be super f'ed

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
I never had any issues with grinding calipers. My install was smooth, and the only issue is a very very minor rub on the lower control arm which is almost non existant unless it is at full lock in a parking lot, etc.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Mike, put 50 miles on it then yes you have to get it alinged. I say drive it a bit to get the springs to settle in so your wheels dont need a alignment again in a week

Users who are viewing this thread