Belt issues

olympic

Established Member
I will have to check the calibration. It was very challenging getting the tools on the pulleys in the same grooves for sure.
What did you do to fix your alignment?
I made a shim for the blower pulley to bring it forward.

NorCal_03Cobra

SVTP Member
Established Member
When I rev the engine, I see the belt ride up onto and over the front of the lower pulley, and it immediately returns to be centered on the pulley at idle. I can even hear it slap back onto the pulley after I release the throttle. At idle and low RPM it looks fine.
Again, this has happened with the stock lower and 2.76 upper, the metco stock lower and 2.76 upper, and currently I have the 3.1" upper and the 8.6" lower.
I have the PA performance alternator, and I pulled the pully off yesterday to see what if any spacers where behind it. There are no spacers behind the alternator pulley.
I also re-verified yesterday with the dayco laser alignment kit, and everything was aligned- or at least nothing was way wacked out. I have a new belt on it also.
My setup: 2.8 Upper + Metco Idlers + Metco/IW Crank kit + Roush tensioner + Mechman Alternator

After installing the Metco/IW crank kit I checked all of my pulley alignment using a 2ft straight edge using the crank pulley as the starting measurement. Crank to S/C, Crank to Tensioner, Crank to Alternator, Tensioner to S/C. I did have to uninstall some of the idlers to get a clear measurement.

My belt was riding up on the lower crank: away from the engine, towards the radiator. I found my alternator was the issue by about 1/16" to 1/8". Adding spacers wasn't my problem as I needed to remove material from the alternator mount (not the cage it sits in). I did also need to press my S/C pulley on a little further.

I used a Makita oscillating multi-tool which cut through the aluminum alternator mount easily, and I didn't have to pull the alternator completely out of the car. I figured if I removed too much material I could always space it out correctly with washers.

Didn't have the laser tool, eye-balled the cuts and happy to say the belt is riding fine after a few hundred miles.

Before doing the Metco installation I did have belts shred the same front rib intermittently, I just finally got around to diagnosing it and correcting it while doing this job.

Last edited:

dazwelding

Established Member
I spaced out my lower pulley and it seems like it may be fixed. I guess I will know for sure after the next track day. Thank you all for your input!!!

dazwelding

Established Member
I spaced out my lower pulley and it seems like it may be fixed. I guess I will know for sure after the next track day. Thank you all for your input!!!
Just ran at Roebling Road Raceway yesterday, and had no belt issues!! Spacing the lower pulley out fixed my issue!
Just to close the loop here in case someone finds this thread in the future, I used 1/4” grade 8 washers (they are the gold washers, it’s just what I had I doubt you actually need the grade 8) and sanded a flat spot on each one to clear the lip on the balancer. I then super glued the washers to the lower pulley to hold them in place while I was installed the pulley. No idea how else you would get the washers between the lower and the balancer. Bolted the lower pulley on and reinstalled the belt and that was it! I would be curious to now try the laser on the pulleys to see what it looks like now, but I am always so short on time I was just glad to get it working with all 8 ribs again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread