Belt size and best belt question

Dr.Jay

Out of my mind. Back in 5
Established Member
After 2 shredded belts, I've had more than enough. I've been told of a belt, green or blue in color, don't remember the name, that is actually pretty resistant, both to slip and breakage. I have a 99 GT with an S Trim with a 10% OD and a 3.1 RR pulley (a.k.a the belt shredder). I'm still at 6 ribs.

Question would be, what would the best belt size be, and what brand of belt would best suit my needs? Thanks in advance! :banana:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is everything lined up correctly? What kind of shape is your tensioner in? Have you tried using a pulley that doesn't have the nick name "The Belt Shredder"?

Dr.Jay

Out of my mind. Back in 5
Established Member
It's a Reichard Racing pulley... heard it's quite belt hungry, others swear by it... and yes, everything is lined up correctly. Tensioner is brand new, and it's the iron piece. Someone told me something a about a blue (or green) belt, maybe Gates, that's supposed to be good, but I forgot...

01yellercobra

Established Member
I haven't heard of a blue or green belt. Maybe they meant the packaging. I've run Gates before with some good success.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
probably the gates green stripe which is their automotive heavy duty belt.

If you look at their catalog you may also find a offroad / tractor / diesel application those belts are green and very strong. They make those for tractors, combines, diesel trucks...

Users who are viewing this thread