Belt size question, extremely loud screech, went through 2 belts so far......

April

Established Member
Ok originally had SGS automotive put the lower pulley on and Jason guessed on a belt, he put a Gates belt (25-080780) on the car, after about a month it would start screeching, would take longer and longer each day for the belt to warm up and the noise to go away. I just went to Napa and exchanged it for the same size 1 month ago, put the belt on, was fine for a week, and now the noise is back and getting worse daily. Was wondering if anyone had the same setup on their cars and what belt size they ran, might switch to a Gatorback. The belt is definitely extremely tight, and is not slipping.

It has a:
4# lower
2.93 upper

3 100mm idlers
1 90mm (might be 92mm but can find out tonight)

Stock alt. pulley

prostkr

Established Member
My car does the same thing....its very annoying. Ive used both gates and gatorback. I think the lower is to blame 4lb metco on mine.

bigmoose

Established Member
i had that same setup except i had a 3.2" alt. i used an 81" belt with no problems. what brand idlers do you have? if you have the brand i think you might have i bet thats your problem.

SVTim

Beer Me!
Established Member
My car did a loud screech before. Ended up being the alternator itself. When you take the belt off just reach under there and spin the alternator, you should be able to hear it. If its not that one try the others just to check. Mine was extremely loud though....

April

Established Member
If I went and changed the belt tomorrow it would stop, maybe the belt is screeching because its too loose from kind of stretching out over the week period?

Metco 4# lower
Billetflow idlers

bigmoose

Established Member
huh, nevermind. i noticed all my non billetflow idlers had some good wobble to them causing them to eat bearings. its due to the wide tolerances for the bearing. one of them was really bad and made a similar sound. i replaced that one so far with a billetflow with zero problems. the billetflow one is superior quality and has ZERO wobble.

April

Established Member
I am just trying to figure out if its too tight or too loose.....I might try 1/4 larger if they make them in 1/4 increments

April

Established Member
;-)....Its all good, its late, no one got to see it :banana:.....Jp man. Anyways will take a picture tomorrow and post it up on here.....Might try to get one now actually brb, will pm it to you in 5

April

Established Member
Pictures for everyone to see

DSC00382.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread