Belt time - Gatorback or Gates

jmccown

Established Member
I've noticed the last couple of times I drove my car the SC hasn't been as vocal as usual. Last night I was just getting maybe 2 lbs boost at the most on my gauge. Obviously my belt is toast. I've heard some say that the gatorbacks are better, while others say gates is better. Is it true that the gatorback makes a better sound from the supercharger? If gatorback is best where can I find one? I have a NAPA and Advance auto. Neither carries the goodyear, NAPA carries the gates, advance only carries DAyco belts. Also, my car has the 2.76 pulley and full idlers. I read on the billetflow site that this would take a stock belt, or 75" belt. Is this correct?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Is it true that the gatorback makes a better sound from the supercharger? If gatorback is best where can I find one? I have a NAPA and Advance auto. Neither carries the goodyear, NAPA carries the gates, advance only carries DAyco belts. Also, my car has the 2.76 pulley and full idlers. I read on the billetflow site that this would take a stock belt, or 75" belt. Is this correct?
it's not that the belt makes the supercharger sound diffrent, it's the pattern on the belt that makes the whistleing. similar to a cog setup, just not nearly as loud. my non-slip pulley makes the same noise on a regular gates belt due to the cross suts...

don't know if you have the new tensioner bracket or the old one, but mine has the old bracket w/ all idlers and a 2.76 and i run a 74.5" Gates.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Just ordered another poly cog today, should be here in a week. I love the sound mine makes!

I have heard that the new Gatorbacks aren't as loud as they use to be :shrug:

Last edited:

MisterChrome

Established Member
I know I have a 2.81 pulley and an idler. I bought the car with it on. How could I tell if I have any other idlers. Never go to see how it looks stock.

So again, which setup would give the loudest sound? Gatorback or cog setup?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Heard of some people prematurely shredding the Gatorback belts, but some people love them. I'll stick with the Gates myself.

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
GATES FTW, i had a gator back and it was louder, giving me more "whine" but after i was cleaning the engine one day i looked, and my gator back had lost ALOT of teeth, so i got the gates, and it is a thicker belt, no "teeth" so i dont think i will go back to the gator back, the gates just seems SO much stonger, it was a super snug fit also, took a 3 hands to get it on, the gator back just slipped right off. I will be upgrading to a non-slip soon.

Gatorback.jpg
These individual teeth, yeah mine was missing way to many to seem safe, there is alot less material then the gates, the gates has groves, but not these small little teeth that break off.

Last edited:

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
Dayco is the loudest. Mine definitely has belt wine. Gates is probably the longest lasting. I do experience belt dust with the Dayco. It is holding up strong though.

Eveny goodyear states that their belts are 15 dB quieter than the competitions cog (Dayco) belt.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
what is a poly cog about2bite?

It's a Dayco belt, I haven't had any problems with mine. I've been having some slipping but I just bought a smaller belt which should cure that problem. I sprayed some belt dressing on the current belt this morning and now the belt is A LOT louder than it was before, and it was loud before.

I believe the belts are only available at Adavance Auto and Pep Boys

Last edited:

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Also, my car has the 2.76 pulley and full idlers. I read on the billetflow site that this would take a stock belt, or 75" belt. Is this correct?

Yes it will take the stock belt. I'm still running my stock belt but i haven't a clue what size it is. I haven't had to change it yet. But I get a ton of belt dust from it though so I might need to change it.

Users who are viewing this thread