Benefits of changing diff cover?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I've been researching rear end upgrades on here in preparation for my transition to 3.73s and came across an interesting comment in one of the threads. The rear diff covers on our cars have cooling fins to keep temps down at speed. Mine is a non-track pack car so I don't have the dedicated cooler. I do occasionally like to run high speeds for extended periods in Mexico.m

What are the benefits of upgrading the diff cover? Will cooling be significantly compromised?

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
I've been researching rear end upgrades on here in preparation for my transition to 3.73s and came across an interesting comment in one of the threads. The rear diff covers on our cars have cooling fins to keep temps down at speed. Mine is a non-track pack car so I don't have the dedicated cooler. I do occasionally like to run high speeds for extended periods in Mexico.m

What are the benefits of upgrading the diff cover? Will cooling be significantly compromised?

I don't quite understand your question. I too have the non-track pack car without the cooler. But my diff. cover has the cooling fins but not the lines for the cooler so what other cover would be better than this one that already has the fins? Did you look at yours to see if it has the fins? Not only that but I bought the amsoil rear gear lube and I'm sure it will stand high temps. without breaking down.

Last edited:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I don't quite understand your question. I too have the non-track pack car without the cooler. But my diff. cover has the cooling fins but not the lines for the cooler so what other cover would be better than this one that already has the fins? Did you look at yours to see if it has the fins? Not only that but I bought the amsoil rear gear lube and I'm sure it will stand high temps. without breaking down.

You can get diff covers that act like a rear end girdle for added strength and increased ring and pinion life according to Ford Racing's website. Many posters have complained of gear whine after a few drag launches and Networking Guru even blew his differential on a non-pp car with one 4k rpm launch on drag radials. If I'm already taking the car in for a gear and axle swap I could easily add the higher-strength cover. I'm just trying to determine if losing those cooling fins is worth it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread