Benefits of using a larger crank pulley over a smaller snout pulley?

His Grace

Genesis 1:31
Established Member
Just as the title asks, why would somebody want to apply a larger crank pulley over having a smaller supercharger pulley?

Is it a difference in torque, hp?

Better surface to belt ratio by keeping the stock snout pulley and going with a larger crank pulley to make horsepower (less belt slip)?

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
you answered your own question... HP/TQ should be roughly the same

+1. Clearance and ease of installation is the only reason we even bother with the upper pulley swap. If there was room, you would probably see guys running around with 3 foot diameter crank pulleys.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Belt slip, like you said. More surface area contacting the belt, less slip, more consistent boost.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Just as the title asks, why would somebody want to apply a larger crank pulley over having a smaller supercharger pulley?

Is it a difference in torque, hp?

Better surface to belt ratio by keeping the stock snout pulley and going with a larger crank pulley to make horsepower (less belt slip)?

Just throw an upper idler on it and it'll be fine..

metco8.JPG

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Upper pullies can only go so small. Eventually if you want more boost, you have to get a lower. It helps with belt slip, but idlers are for that, just like 03 DSG said.

02reaper

Established Member
Seems to me that theres only so fast you can spin the stock Eaton blower before gains are offset by the heat. Are the 2.76/2.80 pulleys on the verge of over spinning the blower, even if ported? Atleast with an upper pulley, the blower is the only thing spinning faster. With the lower pulley aren't you spinning some other accessories faster also?

=04 Cobra Nut=

Crazy Construction Guy
Established Member
Seems to me that theres only so fast you can spin the stock Eaton blower before gains are offset by the heat. Are the 2.76/2.80 pulleys on the verge of over spinning the blower, even if ported? Atleast with an upper pulley, the blower is the only thing spinning faster. With the lower pulley aren't you spinning some other accessories faster also?

Bingo! I for one would not go tempting the alternator gods! These alts on our cars are marginal at best. I would not recommend spinning it any faster than it already goes.

Dave

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Bingo! I for one would not go tempting the alternator gods! These alts on our cars are marginal at best. I would not recommend spinning it any faster than it already goes.

Dave

Yup, everything else will be spinning faster that runs off the crank. Then you need to worry about stuff like underdrive's on the alternator, etc. A pain in the arse.

Users who are viewing this thread