Bent axle with S197 upgrade kit

Derek5774

Established Member
I had an axle built with the S197 upgrade kit from lethal performance.
The kit for their hardcore race customer and used on their 2013 GT500.
Right after the install I could hear a squeak coming from the rotor rubbing the brake caliber, which usually indicates a bent axle. I didn't know what the squeak was until it got louder
the squeak got worse and had it looked at. Axle was bent.
I did drive the car so I can't prove it was bent before I drove it.
I called Lethal Performance and they are looking into it, but didn't seem to want to help.
I'll leave it at that, just wanted to warn you about this kit. If you get defected parts, then you are probably stuck with it.
It's really not worth it especially since you have to cut ends off of the stock axle to install 9 in. ends.

Derek5774

Established Member
That is not good. More and more bad reviews are coming from lethal.

I didn't know that, this was my first and last transaction with them
I just wanted to warn everyone about this kit and their customer service
If you need late model mustang parts call Van, he has always gone above and beyond to help me

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Right after the install I could hear a squeak coming from the rotor rubbing the brake caliber, which usually indicates a bent axle. I didn't know what the squeak was until it got louder
I called Lethal Performance and they are looking into it, but didn't seem to want to help.
I'll leave it at that, just wanted to warn you about this kit. If you get defected parts, then you are probably stuck with it.
It's really not worth it especially since you have to cut ends off of the stock axle to install 9 in. ends.

Drives me nuts when people aren't specific enough... are you talking about this kit?

Lethal Performance S197 Axle & Differential Upgrade Kit - Rear End Upgrade Kits - Driveline - 2013-2014 5.8L Shelby GT500

Rotor to caliper interference is common and not necessarily indicative of a bent axle. If you've done a lot of brake work you'd notice that quite often the caliper isn't centered on the rotor. Factory calipers often favor one side of the rotor and can interfere or make contact when a lateral load is placed upon the wheel/tire. A quick runout check is always a good idea after installing any axle, OEM or otherwise.

Who welded your housing ends and how sure are you that they were installed square to the axle centerline at the face and parallel to the axles at the tube? Were they Mig or Tig welded, etc? Runout should have been verified before the assembly was even placed back into the vehicle.

Who did the work on the axle and the installation?

Derek5774

Established Member
Drives me nuts when people aren't specific enough... are you talking about this kit?

Lethal Performance S197 Axle & Differential Upgrade Kit - Rear End Upgrade Kits - Driveline - 2013-2014 5.8L Shelby GT500

Rotor to caliper interference is common and not necessarily indicative of a bent axle. If you've done a lot of brake work you'd notice that quite often the caliper isn't centered on the rotor. Factory calipers often favor one side of the rotor and can interfere or make contact when a lateral load is placed upon the wheel/tire. A quick runout check is always a good idea after installing any axle, OEM or otherwise.

Who welded your housing ends and how sure are you that they were installed square to the axle centerline at the face and parallel to the axles at the tube? Were they Mig or Tig welded, etc? Runout should have been verified before the assembly was even placed back into the vehicle.

Who did the work on the axle and the installation?

yes that is the kit
Power by the hour built the rear end and shipped it, I'm sure they did it correctly, I discussed the failure with Power by the hour and he is prepared to discuss the build process if needed
High end race development installed the axle

those are reputable shops, which is why I spend the extra money for their service
if they can't do it, then who can?

i'm not familiar with exactly how this is done, which is why I let people who know what they are doing handle that stuff

but I do know that the tire should not wobble and rotor should not rub metal on brake caliber

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Derek, here's a writeup on a 9" end install on an 8.8" (Fox chassis housing procedure pretty much the same as an S197 procedure).
http://www.9inchwarehouse.com/8.8 housing narrow.htm

More...
http://www.markwilliams.com/beefup.aspx

A nice set of S197 housing photos, I'm just not a fan of the heat from the Mig when the ends could have been Tig welded...
http://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/ford-differentials-convert-axle-ends/

Heck, even Google/Images yields quite a bit...
https://www.google.com/search?q=9+i...vTIG9PmkAeOhoFI&ved=0CHwQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=920

I'd want to know what type of fixturing PBH uses and what procedure they used to straighten the housing if need be, after all the welding is done. Nothing against you, but a few minutes of research prior to commencing the order with them would have helped you to yield the proper line of questioning.

Did "High End Race Development" not notice how close the caliper was while installing the calipers on the rotors? They should have, as many times the caliper requires shimming on a non-stock application.

thgt500

Established Member
Sorry to hear this man. Saw it on FB as well as your bushing. All I can say is that as we both have gone up in power crap keeps breaking. To be expected I guess. Just sucks that happened on your new rear end. Already got the fix on the works?

railroad

Established Member
Just from the description, it sounds like a bent axle shaft or bent wheel flange. No dog in this fight, but bent axle, should be axle shaft, bent axle housing, sounds like what you had modified. A bent axle housing would hold the wheel in a set position, not wobble, unless it broke.

Derek5774

Established Member
it's getting fixed soon, so no big deal
I don't know who is at fault, I have no way to tell
but axle was measured to verify that it is bent, exactly when it was bent, I don't know

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

Derek5774,

I didn't speak to you directly but I am aware of the conversation you had with Christy. Right after she got off the phone she asked me what could be done. Before we dove further into the order she mentioned High End Auto called this morning to order the necessary parts to fix the build, they also paid to have them shipped Overnight. What's odd is they never mentioned anything being wrong with the rear end just that they needed to order replacement parts. Unfortunately for this instance, multiple hands are in this order including PBH and HEA. We did supply the parts and if there is a way we can prove the axle was bent before it went on the car we will absolutely help in any way we can. I do apologize if you feel like we didn't want to help, but that's not the case at all. I feel after more information is gathered we will be able to handle this the best way possible. Feel free to give me a call directly tomorrow and I will do my best to assist you along the way.

Thanks,
Matt

Derek5774

Established Member
Derek5774,

I didn't speak to you directly but I am aware of the conversation you had with Christy. Right after she got off the phone she asked me what could be done. Before we dove further into the order she mentioned High End Auto called this morning to order the necessary parts to fix the build, they also paid to have them shipped Overnight. What's odd is they never mentioned anything being wrong with the rear end just that they needed to order replacement parts. Unfortunately for this instance, multiple hands are in this order including PBH and HEA. We did supply the parts and if there is a way we can prove the axle was bent before it went on the car we will absolutely help in any way we can. I do apologize if you feel like we didn't want to help, but that's not the case at all. I feel after more information is gathered we will be able to handle this the best way possible. Feel free to give me a call directly tomorrow and I will do my best to assist you along the way.

Thanks,
Matt

I might give you a call tomorrow, maybe we can work something out
been real busy and didn't have time to source and order parts today, so High
End got the stuff coming, I didn't know they was getting the overnight parts from Lethal,

Myself and the install technician don't see any way to prove exactly when the axle was bent. So that will probably be the end right there. I will have a closer look at the axle tomorrow but that probably won't prove anything.

The next set of parts are for a stock 8.8 housing to rule out any possibility of the next setup having any issues from improper axle ends. Don't want to chance it this close to Texas Mile. At this point, I just want the car ready ASAP to make this race

Any kind of help you can give would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Derek5774

Established Member
UPDATE
Lethal called me back and they are willing to pick up the cost for Moser to repair the bent axle

sftdyna

Established Member
If I have to buy another axle, will be trying these Strange axles I heard about

My tech convinced me on strange! They were actually 150 dollars less then moser and were like a work of art. When i questioned why so many vendors sell moser over strange the reply was they make double the money over strange.

Fastfish420

Established Member
I am upgrading my setup right now cause broke drivers axle and broke the torsen diff on 8th pass at the drag strip with DR.I was looking at the Mosers but might go the Strange route they are cheaper than Moser and I run Strange in my other race car with not one problem.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I am upgrading my setup right now cause broke drivers axle and broke the torsen diff on 8th pass at the drag strip with DR.I was looking at the Mosers but might go the Strange route they are cheaper than Moser and I run Strange in my other race car with not one problem.

Man, sorry to hear. :nonono:
Exactly why (other than gear whine) I'm building the rear this winter before any more drag passes.
Strange is the way to go in my experience also.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread