Bent axle

shelbysvt

Established Member
Which axle is better, Strange or Moser? Moser without lethal discount is around 375 and strange are 305 from the above post. Are the Moser worth 70 dollars more?

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This is part of the reason why we put this package together, it's virtually the same kit we have on our 2013 GT500:

Lethal Performance S197 Axle & Differential Upgrade Kit

lp-s197rearendkit_1.jpg

Definitely worth considering. Give us a call if you have any questions

Thanks!

shelbysvt

Established Member
This is part of the reason why we put this package together, it's virtually the same kit we have on our 2013 GT500:

lp-s197rearendkit_1.jpg

Thanks!

It looks like the only non OEM part is the moser axles. Also I am wondering for this part FRPP M-4700-C carbon clutch pack kit are these the clutch disks that go in the differential for the limited slip? Those of us with the torsen don't have the carbon disks correct?

Last edited:

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Those of us with the torsen don't have the carbon disks correct?

Yes, that's correct.

If you opted out of the Torsen option, you can get everything but the diff, and add that clutch pack kit, which is what our shelby has.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

lp-s197rearendkit_1.jpg

Thanks!

What is this rated to handle? If a person did this package and added the typical LCA/UCA setup that many are already opting for, would this be fairly bullet proof for most things you're going to throw at it on the strip? Obviously you can break anything if you try hard enough but would this be sufficient for an average power package upgrade and hard drag launches with sticky tires?

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What is this rated to handle? If a person did this package and added the typical LCA/UCA setup that many are already opting for, would this be fairly bullet proof for most things you're going to throw at it on the strip? Obviously you can break anything if you try hard enough but would this be sufficient for an average power package upgrade and hard drag launches with sticky tires?

Tough to put an exact number on it, but with that being said, our 1000+RWHP 2013 that recently made that 9 second pass was equipped with this kit. With the added clutch pack for the diff, it's definitely a strong kit.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Tough to put an exact number on it, but with that being said, our 1000+RWHP 2013 that recently made that 9 second pass was equipped with this kit. With the added clutch pack for the diff, it's definitely a strong kit.

Yeah, I'm not trying to pin you down to some sort of hard and fast number or anything. It's just we all know parts can handle a pass or two without breaking, yet still not be a good choice for long term durability. If it can handle a season of racing at your power level without breaking, I'd imagine it would be more than up to the task of a casual racer with 400rwhp less. :shrug:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yeah, I'm not trying to pin you down to some sort of hard and fast number or anything. It's just we all know parts can handle a pass or two without breaking, yet still not be a good choice for long term durability. If it can handle a season of racing at your power level without breaking, I'd imagine it would be more than up to the task of a casual racer with 400rwhp less. :shrug:

We totally understand where you're coming from. The reason we built this kit is from personal experience. We've owned several cars which all see lots of abuse both on the street and the track. One of our cars we equipped with a trutrac that actually worked out pretty good. It held up great at the track and drove real nice on the street. The other was equipped with a spool. For a street car that's definitely far from friendly and I personally don't recommend this for any street setup. It wasn't until we started messing with our 2011 5.0L and Boss that we ended up using the FRPP diff w/carbon clutches and additional discs.

I thank Jake at Power by the Hour for teaching us about this. He showed us that there's no need to spend $500 to $700 for something that will hold and drive well when we could do it for a lot less.

I trusted him with that and had him rebuild the rear end in our 5.0L with the FRPP diff and additional carbon clutches. We did the same for our 2012 boss which toasted the stock diff our first trip to the track. Once we did the upgrade we never had an issue. Keep in mind that the 5.0L has seen more passes then most cars as we were working to get the car into the 9's on the stock motor with the stock MT-82. Same goes for the Boss. We went at it pretty much every week so as you can imagine these cars saw plenty of high rpm launches and powershifting.

Not once did either of these cars experience any slipping or differential issues. What's great about this setup as well as they drive on the street like stock. There's no noise, vibration or any slipping of the diff ever.

So naturally when we burnt up the Torsen in our 2013 GT500 we went with what works which was the kit we now offer.

With that said this upgrade will not only handle the power level you're making but quite a bit more. I'm also not talking about one or two passes here or there. I personally rely on this setup and know how well it works. If I didn't think it was capable of that I would have never put it in any of my cars as paying to do things twice sucks.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
We totally understand where you're coming from. The reason we built this kit is from personal experience. We've owned several cars which all see lots of abuse both on the street and the track. One of our cars we equipped with a trutrac that actually worked out pretty good. It held up great at the track and drove real nice on the street. The other was equipped with a spool. For a street car that's definitely far from friendly and I personally don't recommend this for any street setup. It wasn't until we started messing with our 2011 5.0L and Boss that we ended up using the FRPP diff w/carbon clutches and additional discs.

I thank Jake at Power by the Hour for teaching us about this. He showed us that there's no need to spend $500 to $700 for something that will hold and drive well when we could do it for a lot less.

I trusted him with that and had him rebuild the rear end in our 5.0L with the FRPP diff and additional carbon clutches. We did the same for our 2012 boss which toasted the stock diff our first trip to the track. Once we did the upgrade we never had an issue. Keep in mind that the 5.0L has seen more passes then most cars as we were working to get the car into the 9's on the stock motor with the stock MT-82. Same goes for the Boss. We went at it pretty much every week so as you can imagine these cars saw plenty of high rpm launches and powershifting.

Not once did either of these cars experience any slipping or differential issues. What's great about this setup as well as they drive on the street like stock. There's no noise, vibration or any slipping of the diff ever.

So naturally when we burnt up the Torsen in our 2013 GT500 we went with what works which was the kit we now offer.

With that said this upgrade will not only handle the power level you're making but quite a bit more. I'm also not talking about one or two passes here or there. I personally rely on this setup and know how well it works. If I didn't think it was capable of that I would have never put it in any of my cars as paying to do things twice sucks.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Jared,
Thanks, that answers all my questions perfectly. Even ones I hadn't had a chance to ask yet. :lol: Sounds like it will be a perfect option for me when I'm ready to start modding. I will never run the kind of power you guys are, and I'll certainly never beat on the car as frequently as you guys so it sounds like it should do the job without even breathing hard. Thanks for the helpful info! :beer:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Also, Strange lists a 33-spline CF clutch traction lock diff for the more hardcore drag racers.
For the casual, mild bolt on '13-14 guys, the Lethal kit above is a great buy.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Nope, you would need c-clip eliminator axles or weld on 9" axle tube ends.
I've done both, IMO better to just do the 9" conversion at that point.
Only Moser has GT500 axles with ABS rings installed and 9" ends with a bracket to use the stock brakes, I just used their parts.
We'll see how they hold, typically I like Strange better.
-J

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Nope, you would need c-clip eliminator axles or weld on 9" axle tube ends.
I've done both, IMO better to just do the 9" conversion at that point.
Only Moser has GT500 axles with ABS rings installed and 9" ends with a bracket to use the stock brakes, I just used their parts.
We'll see how they hold, typically I like Strange better.
-J

Strange has the same thing.....

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
My mistake if the 2007 and 2013 setup is different.

This is what I ordered from Strange and couldn't be happier:

H1148 ENDS
D1567 SPOOL
B1706NC BRAKE ADPT. KIT
P3502 AXLE PKG
H1124 CAPS

Softballer77

Established Member
I'm having 4.10s put in as we speak by GTR High Performance. Thought I'd swap the axles since we are already in there. Ordered Mosers. Shop called me today saying the machine shop was swapping over the clips from the old axles to the new ones, and they are used to doing a lot of 99-04 style ones, but hadn't done these before. They were worried that they might break one of the clips because they are different? I told them to press on. If one gets broke, we will cross that bridge when we get to it, but I have personally not done any rear end work myself.

Is this an issue others have ran into?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Clips?
My 33-spline Mosers for 9" ends had the ABS rings installed.
Maybe they're talking about c-clips but that should swap over easy. GTR has been doing it awhile, I'm sure they'll hook it up, let us know how you like the gears.
-J

Softballer77

Established Member
Clips?
My 33-spline Mosers for 9" ends had the ABS rings installed.
Maybe they're talking about c-clips but that should swap over easy. GTR has been doing it awhile, I'm sure they'll hook it up, let us know how you like the gears.
-J

I have complete confidence in GTR, but they called saying it was the machine shop that they took the axles to that was saying something was different. Something that they weren't used to seeing. But yes...the c-clips.

I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to differentials. Something I have always passed off, but probably should know more about.

Should get it back tomorrow afternoon/evening. Was going to put in the new solid shifter bushings myself, but just handed them off to them to install as well since it's there. Will run street legal drags weekend after next. Hoping for some good times. Had 4.10s in my prior Mustang and loved them. I'll let ya know!

Users who are viewing this thread