Best 30-06...

nhancedsvt

Established Member
Looking to pick up a 30-06 for hunting in the near future and was wondering what you guys think would be the best? I really want to get a nicer gun seeing as how I have never really bought a gun that cost more than about $200. this gun can be a current model or a used model (i will just have to search gunbroker and pawn shops) and my limit is about $1000 with a scope. thanks for the input!

nhancedsvt

Established Member
do they make a 700 in a nicer wood stock or only synthetic? i was considering a browning medallion

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I got an FN-49 pretty accurate for a semi-auto mil-surplus rifle only paid $400 for it back in 1997 but sadly they sort of went thru the roof in price now they on avg. go for $750-900 for 30-06. But if you want somewhat quality and cheap price a Ruger 77 or Savage 112 or 114 isn't to bad on the wallet. And were abouts you in Georgia as I'm in the process of moving down there roughly in the Dalton to Rome area.

dogmush

Established Member
Winchester 70, Remington 700, or Ruger M77 are pretty much the standards Bolt action rifles are measured by. My -06 is a M77 and I really like it. However it doesn't have the aftermarket support of the other two. Between the Winchester and the Remington I like the Winchester better because of the safety design (You can work the bolt with the safety on) but that's nitpicking. They're all very good rifles. Get some nice glass for it. I like Burris and Leopuld in the 9 power range for a 30-06. Good mix of magnification and field of view. A 30-06 is a very versitle round, and great for hunting.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Winchester 70, Remington 700, or Ruger M77 are pretty much the standards Bolt action rifles are measured by. My -06 is a M77 and I really like it. However it doesn't have the aftermarket support of the other two. Between the Winchester and the Remington I like the Winchester better because of the safety design (You can work the bolt with the safety on) but that's nitpicking. They're all very good rifles. Get some nice glass for it. I like Burris and Leopuld in the 9 power range for a 30-06. Good mix of magnification and field of view. A 30-06 is a very versitle round, and great for hunting.

i have a pair of M77s...a .243 M77, and a .270M77 MkII. i friggin love them!
i prefer Leupolds over the Burris but only because of the Burris being a hair heavier...thats just me

OP the Ruger M77, Rem 700, Win 70, and Browning Medalion and A Bolt are all fine choices

nhancedsvt

Established Member
I got an FN-49 pretty accurate for a semi-auto mil-surplus rifle only paid $400 for it back in 1997 but sadly they sort of went thru the roof in price now they on avg. go for $750-900 for 30-06. But if you want somewhat quality and cheap price a Ruger 77 or Savage 112 or 114 isn't to bad on the wallet. And were abouts you in Georgia as I'm in the process of moving down there roughly in the Dalton to Rome area.

i live right outside of macon,ga.

it seems like everyone likes the remington 700 and winchester 70 so i'll have to go look at them. thanks for the input guys!!!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread