Best BMW for a Daily Driver?

Red99SVT

Established Member
Never thought I would be BMW shopping but I am. Problem is I have no idea where to start. I know I want a 4dr or an SUV. Main thing is I dont want a maintenance or upkeep nightmare. I really like the styling on some of the M cars I know. Any suggestions with a budget of about 20-25K? Any advice is appreciated.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
Well you can get a 335 in that price range, not sure about CPO though. Thing about that is, you're running into the issue where you could end up with a pretty reliable car or a consistently problematic car (usually if it's got a spotty history, it'll continue to give you issues). Statistically speaking, the chance of getting a problematic N54 is very high compared to its normally aspirated alternative in the 328 (N52). So while the E90 335 would be the obvious performance choice, your statement that you don't want a maintenance nightmare would probably lead me to suggest saying no to that.

However, the 328 is still really good. I'd suggest seeing if you can find any good E91s (touring) out there with the options you'd prefer.

No matter what, if you get a 3er, find one with the sport package. And if you don't mind a manual transmission, it's a must on the 328 (the auto feels sloppy and really makes the engine seem like a weak point of the car when it's not really).

I abhor all BMW SAVs so I will not suggest any. However, someone may have some valuable input on that.

Based on your price range and requirements, sounds to me like you'd be looking at the E9X, so if you want more specific info as to what's available with those constraints, post up a thread on the e90post forums. Of course, everyone is going to say "335 WINZ D00D" but you'll get some useful input outside of that as well.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Would get a 328i E9X or older M3's. Both car's are pretty damn reliable from what I have read/heard. 335i's are a hit and miss, will be very reliable or be a problem car. Mine has been flawless soo far but don't know how it will be down the road.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
01 m5 and grab the dinan package. a buddy bought one for low 20's and he drives it every day and has had zero problems. only issue that i could see someone being afraid of the VANOS adjustment that needs to be done every 12k, it can get a little pricey...

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
01 m5 and grab the dinan package. a buddy bought one for low 20's and he drives it every day and has had zero problems. only issue that i could see someone being afraid of the VANOS adjustment that needs to be done every 12k, it can get a little pricey...

You mean valve adjustment? VANOS is the timing system. They fail like crazy, but I don't think they need adjustment.

sc98cbra

Established Member
My 01 325i has 161k and running strong. Just had to replace a few minor parts. They are a very reliable mode of transportation.

The problem with owning a BMW is that, just like owning a Cobra or Gt500, if a part goes bad, or you need to replace something, you have to pay the BMW price. Autozone and aftermarket companies do not carry many BMW parts

Last edited:

Red99SVT

Established Member
Thanks guys. Pretty much the same responses I am getting everywhere. Believe me a BMW would not be my first choice, but its hard to turn down a bonus each month just for owning one. Still up in the air though. Wish I could get the same credit for a Shelby or Cobra for that matter.

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
Thanks guys. Pretty much the same responses I am getting everywhere. Believe me a BMW would not be my first choice, but its hard to turn down a bonus each month just for owning one. Still up in the air though. Wish I could get the same credit for a Shelby or Cobra for that matter.

You would get paid to own one? :??: Or are you talking about like an "emotional" bonus, as in knowing that you drive a BMW?

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
My wife has an 08 328 that's a daily.

It's about to hit 50k. No problems outside of a lifter replacement at 11k.

I wish folks would kill all the E90 or whatever the numerical representation of the BMW model.

It's not that serious and i'm too lazy to google what they are.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
You mean valve adjustment? VANOS is the timing system. They fail like crazy, but I don't think they need adjustment.
Neither the Vanos nor the valves need to be adjusted on an E39 M5. And I wouldn't say they fail like crazy. They are very reliable, but not cheap if they do fail.

E39 M5 is a great car. Absolute blast to drive, looks great, monstrous torque curve, and plenty of room for 4 people. I would love to own one.

Change the oil regularly at 5k mile intervals and mind your gauges. They have a 30psi cooling system and a lot of plastic cooling system parts. They usually just leak at first, but I have seen a handful just pop without signs of leaking before. Find a reputable BMW shop. Firestone and Pep Boys do not know what they are doing.

There is no Dinan package. All E39 M5s are the same from the factory when it comes to performance. Dinan is a company that sells aftermarket performance parts for BMWs.

If you don't want that much car for a daily driver, a 96+ E36 M3 sedan is another great car and will have less maintenance costs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread