Best Car School

BenBrausen

Established Member
My lil brother really wants to goto Wyotech. He's all hyped cause they had a rep come and talk about it. He told them it's "Its known as the Harvard of auto schools and also knows as the automotive boot camp." I just don't think he's checked into any other options. Is this really the best place in the world to go for automotive education? The program he's lookin' at is $27K. Is it worth that?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
My brother wants to go to that school as well. I have a friend who went there too. I think out of the ones I've seen, I think its the best

thom

The Logic of Being Fuzzy
Established Member
I've been looking into this as well, and seem to have only come up with three good options.

WyoTech ( www.wyotech.com )
UTI ( http://www.uticorp.com/ )
SAM ( http://www.samracing.com/ )

I plan on attending UTI or WyoTech, and then SAM. But if anyone else has some input, it'd be appreciated. I'll be doing this in about a year when I get out of the military... WyoTech or UTI for some good background training, and then SAM for the in-depth engine work.

Your brother might want to check out those places, get the packets from each...

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Im paying 20+ for a major in Collision and Refinishing, and 2 non-core classes of High Performance Engines/Custom Chassis Fab. and Business Management. As for changing oil for $8 and hour. I already have a job changing oil and tires and other basic jobs such as this for 10$ an hour, and i haven even started school yet. Where does your friend live? Did he even look for more than one job?

thom

The Logic of Being Fuzzy
Established Member
Hey, WyoTechMSA, I just sent you a PM but you kinda answered my question with that.

You haven't started school yet? I plan on going there, or UTI, and would like to know what you think about it... Have you toured the facilities? What other schools did you look at?

Thanks.

jeffs04??

SHIFT_
Established Member
well i'll tell ya a place NEVER to go to espically for those of you in the north east. Baran Institute of Technology. paid $22,000 for 1 year and basically was taught shit. graduated and never recieved my diploma because after everyone in our apartment complex got kicked out they decided to charge us for 2 extra months, and we were responsable to pay for new rug, fridge and cabinets, witch all were in the same condition as when i moved in. then there was actual school. if what we went over in class wasent broken on someones car in the parking lot, you never fixed it. they had 5 shop cars all of witch were stripped and none of them ran. they are basically in the business just for your money. i learned more working 4 months at a junkyard than i did in a year of going there.

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
my son went to wyo-tech three years ago. i told him to work his butt off and good things will happen- finished top 1%, BMW recruted him to their school in AZ-finished top 3 and was hired by a BMW dealer in Indy- been there two years, made over $60,000 last year and bought a new home. he will be 22 this year...if you want to be the best, go where the best come from, if you go to be average, you will make $8.00/hr.

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
I would recomend looking at Ranken Technical College.

They are an accredited college. They have some of the best, most knowledgeable, experianced instructors in the country. The have a huge facility. It used to be used for building helicopters. They have hundreds of donated brand new cars to work on from many manufactures. Everything from escalades to corvettes to lexus and toyotas. I got my Associates degree in automotive maintenance and technoligy. They also have a program for collision repair. The place has at least 30 twin post lifts and 4 alignment racks in my section of the building alone. The collision repair side of the building was just as impressive.

Hunter engineering donates plently of equipment from alignment racks with their latest and greatest alignment machines to their hunter 9700 gsb tire ballancer.

The place had everything. Every decent kind of scan tool for every make of vehicle with all the proper adapters. Gm, Toyota, and chrysler all has programs you could join if you work hard and keep your grades up. I had 13 decent job offers when I graduated.

They have everything from an engine machine shop to a room devoted just for learning how to rebuild a automatic trannys.
Learn how planetary gears work! Learn the hydrolic operation and flow!

You will have all of the major 8 ASE certifacations to quallify you as an ASE master certified technition. Not to mention you will be prepaired to take more if you wish. Some times employers will give you a raise for every new ase certifacation you aquire. You can get up to around 32 I think if you want.

The rules are strict to ensure you are being taught good work ethic. You must wear a uniform that adheres to you majors guidelines every day. You must shave and be clean every day. Your uniform must be washed every day. Absencess were not tollerated unless you had a summens to court or an death in your immediate family. More than three absencess or tardies in a semester would be an F!

75% -83% was a C wich is the minimum to pass
84-92% was a B
93 up was a A

I paid around 4k a semester. That included all the general studies classes. Your first semesters tuition also covers a 5k snap-on tool box with tools that is given at a huge discout since you are a student.

www.ranken.edu

When I first got out of School I worked for Dobbs making roughly 40k a year. :rockon: :beer:

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
If you graduated from Ranken you will be able to understand how things work and because of that be on an analitical level when it comes to diagnosing and repairing cars.....:beer:

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by BlueSHO
my friend went there, paid $2x,000, and graduated last fall. he now changes oil for $8/hour :S

As asked before did he really try to get a getter job? :shrug:

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
UTI, but I am kind of biased. I write their curriculum. We are partnered with Porsche, VW, BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Toyota, Volvo, and others. Upon completing our core program, you may be eligible to pursue training with one of these manufacturers and they pick up the tab!!! You can go into a dealership as a credentialled technician with factory training. These opportunities are not available to everyone, you have to work hard and keep grades and attendance high. As someone mentioned earlier even WyoTech guys can end up at one of our specialized training facilities (BMW I think it was??), but we have the best education and future for the money, bar none.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by evil04cobra
UTI, but I am kind of biased. I write their curriculum. We are partnered with Porsche, VW, BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Toyota, Volvo, and others. Upon completing our core program, you may be eligible to pursue training with one of these manufacturers and they pick up the tab!!! You can go into a dealership as a credentialled technician with factory training. These opportunities are not available to everyone, you have to work hard and keep grades and attendance high. As someone mentioned earlier even WyoTech guys can end up at one of our specialized training facilities (BMW I think it was??), but we have the best education and future for the money, bar none.

What do you mean when you say partnered? Ranken had programs with many of the same manufactures where the student could apply for the program if he/she met certain requirements. Mainly grades and attendance. On your 4th semester you would intern with whatever companys program is covering you and then go on to work for them full-time upon graduation. Is this similar to what you are talking about?

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by 03 COBRA SB
if you go to be average, you will make $8.00/hr.

Very true! You can go to the best school and get shit for an education if you don't apply yourself and just try to get by.

Is UTI or Wyotech an accredited college?

i8u

Established Member
Here is some info off ranken's page about thier automotive technoligy program....

> automotive maintenance technology
As technology and electronics continue to influence the automotive industry, many of St. Louis' largest car manufacturers, dealerships and repair shops are in need of skilled technicians capable of soling new and complex problems.

To meet this need, Ranken offers an Automotive Maintenance Technology (AMT) program that provides students with the comprehensive knowledge and skills required by leading automotive manufacturers and factories today.

Known for its high standards, Ranken was recently recognized as the No. 1 automotive maintenance program in Missouri for the fifth consecutive year by the Missouri Department of Education, and earned the 2000 Automotive Award of Excellence (manufacturer-affiliated category) for the State of Missouri from the Industry Planning Council (IPC).

ASSOCIATE OF TECHNOLOGY

Ranken's AMT Program provides students with two years of hands-on training and instruction in diagnosing and repairing automotive problems and malfunctions. Combining traditional and modern industry practices, the program develops student proficiencies in the following areas:

> Engines
> Brakes
> Suspension and steering
> Engine performance
> Electricity
> Air conditioning
> Engine machining

For students interested in employment with the region's leading auto manufacturers, Ranken currently offers three corporate sponsorship programs: Toyota's Technical Education Network (T-TEN), General Motors' Automotive Service Educational Program (ASEP) and Chrylser's Technician Apprenticeship Program (CTAP). In addition to on-campus instruction and training, students enrolled in these programs complete a professional internship in a local factory or dealership during their foruth semester.

i8u

Established Member
I just wanted to add that the reason Ranken tuation is less than other private schools is because David Ranken Jr.(founder) left the school a 26 million dollar endowment fund.:beer:

BlueSHO

i love lamp
Established Member
UTI and WyoTECH arent accredited schools. you get a "diploma" from what i understand, and diplomas are useless. hell send me $10 ill give you a diploma :D

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
I think not, we go through a rigorous certification process with NATEF, and the state boards of education. Our diploma is not just another piece of paper and unlike the ASEP, T-TEN and CTAP, our manufacturer programs are not apprenticeship programs, they are actual factory training.

Feel free to make up your own mind, the fact this career is being considered as an opportunity for further education is phenomenal in and of itself no matter which school you ultimately choose. But do not let a desparaging comment like "Give me $10 and I'll give you a diploma" keep you from looking at the finest trade schools in the country. It is unfounded and baseless statements like that that give the automotive industry as a whole a bad reputation.

BlueSHO, feel free to contact me at work [email protected] for a full list of our accreditation standings and DEGREE programs.

Last edited:

BlueSHO

i love lamp
Established Member
Originally posted by evil04cobra
I think not, we go through a rigorous certification process with NATEF, and the state boards of education. Our diploma is not just another piece of paper and unlike the ASEP, T-TEN and CTAP, our manufacturer programs are not apprenticeship programs, they are actual factory training.

Feel free to make up your own mind, the fact this career is being considered as an opportunity for further education is phenomenal in and of itself no matter which school you ultimately choose. But do not let a desparaging comment like "Give me $10 and I'll give you a diploma" keep you from looking at the finest trade schools in the country. It is unfounded and baseless statements like that that give the automotive industry as a whole a bad reputation.

BlueSHO, feel free to contact me at work [email protected] for a full list of our accreditation standings and DEGREE programs.

i was under the impression that you dont get a degree, maybe i was wrong.

im going to a university so im not too worried about uti or wyotech

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
You should see the number of people we have enrolling that have traditional college degrees and can't make any money.:rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread