Best Clutch For a Modded Stang

BenBrausen

Established Member
I have a friend that's lookin' to replace the clutch in his Mustang. He has a '82 with a 351W and a Cobra rear end shaved to fit. The car has seen a bunch of different engines and has been super lightned to racing. Were not totally sure but were guessin' it'll take a 10.5" clutch not an 11". It's got lots of bolt on goodies. Right now were lookin' for something in a Stage II clutch, mabe a Stage I if it's a heavy duty kit. Lookin' for something that'll hold at least 400hp.

What would everyone recommend? Right now he's lookin' at a Hayes Street Performance kit. Anyone have any experience with these? What about a SPEC Stage II? Were lookin' for a whole kit (throw out bearrings, alignment tool, bolts, etc). Where can we grab a some piolet bearrings for a good price? And where can we get a flywheel at a good price? It doesn't have to be new, just resurfaced.

Also, any suggestions on special tools, or tricks to replacin' the clutch? We don't have a lift, just lots of jacks and stands, even a front end loader to lift it if we have to. The car was stolen and we recovered it 200 miles north of here. It was towed all the way up there in gear and who knows what other kinda damage was done. We also have to fix a broken traction bar, install the front Eibach Sportlines, and do all kinds of other general maintenance to get it runnin again.

Any input would really help. Thanks. :-D

bad bike

Established Member
Meclelod they have the best f-body clutch and they make them for stangs now so i would guess the meclod twin disc would be best

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Ive heard awesome things about the Spec Stage III. Im sure the Stage II would work, but if he's over 400hp, then get the Stage III since it is for heavily modded cars who do a lot of racing. Im assuming that he will be doing a lot of racing with that engine. What tranny does he have? Maybe check around ebay for some of those things, you could probably get some good deals.

Users who are viewing this thread