Best Clutch Quadrant?

svt03cobra10th

Established Member
I don't know about the best, but I have the Steeda and I like it a lot. I have heard the UPR has an extra hook for who knows what. I think Steeda has a decent package with the firewall adj and the quad. Just my $.02.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
There are differences between all the types in terms of adjustments, ease of adjustment, amount that can be adjusted etc.

Have not seen any complaints about any particular brand so your probably safe with any of the popular choices.

I went with steeda quadrant/cable/firewall, works great, minor
complaint is I wish the firewall screw was easier to adjust just kinda tough to get that allen wrench in there to move it to some positions. not a big deal though.

stangin

Established Member
Yes, it should make the pedal release where you want it depending on how you adjust it, but you dont want it too high or the clutch will slip all the time.. basic clutch adjusting 101, but if you want it to release closer to the floor it will help, that is the point. Pedal pressure will be the same I would think.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
While there are differences in quadrants, some minor (like the difference between Steeda and UPR), and some major (one brand has a more aggressive curve so it works with less pedal movement).

IMO, the major differences are in the adjustment. I have had a cable which only adjusted at the transmission. It worked well, but was a pain to adjust. I prefer a firewall adjuster, and my favorite is the UPR extreme. The important thing is how the adjustment is locked, and whether, like BuffDigits said, it's difficult to get to. You can mix and match quadrants and firewall adjusters. My 98 Cobra started with Steeda parts, but then I upgraded the firewall adjuster to the UPR unit, but left the Steeda quadrant in place.

Universally, it is accepted that the stock cable should be retained rather than going with an aftermarket one (except where the cable MUST be replaced as in the adjustment down under at the transmission).

My preference is to begin my adjustment by setting it so the pedal has 1/4" to 1/2" slack at the top, then I make fine adjustments of the pedal to my satisfaction. I do it in the driveway with the hood up, testing where the pedal first grabs. Generally, turning the F/W adjuster counter-clockwise will shorten the cable and make the pedal grab higher up, while turning it clockwise (screw it in) will lengthen the cable and put the grab point closer to the floor (and put more free play at the top of the pedal).

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by stangin
Yes, it should make the pedal release where you want it depending on how you adjust it, but you dont want it too high or the clutch will slip all the time.. basic clutch adjusting 101, but if you want it to release closer to the floor it will help, that is the point. Pedal pressure will be the same I would think.

Right on the money!... stangin
pedal pressure will be the same, but should stay adjusted longer w/ better quadrant.....
I've heard good things about steeda and MM

Users who are viewing this thread