Best computer for eaton swap

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I'm doing an Eaton swap onto a 99 cobra engine and it is going into a classic mustang. Should I use an 03-04 cobra box, or would any Cobra or Mach 1 box work fine?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I would think you could use any 99-04 Cobra/03-04 Mach1 ECU since your gonna be importing a custom tune file anyway?

slowgreycobra

Established Member
Yeah, I will probably using something like an SCT Xcal for it since it is what I am familiar with. If any computer is as good as the others, then it should be easy to find one that will work. I guess I just need to make sure I get the right tuner for the computer.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I'm certainly no expert here so I'm just throwing this out there...isn't the transmission the most critical thing that will determine which ECU to go with? I thought guys who run automatics run the Mach 1 computer?

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Was any other Cobra or Mach Factory supercharged? I think you answered your own question....

apparently you know nothing about the subject, so why even bother posting? :rollseyes I guess every other mustang out there with superchargers is running 03/04 cobra ECU's :bored:

Go with whatever 99-04 ECU you want, just make sure you find one specific to the transmission your using (AKA: manual ECU for manual trans, Auto ECU for auto trans)

Last edited:

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
apparently you know nothing about the subject, so why even bother posting? :rollseyes I guess every other mustang out there with superchargers is running 03/04 cobra ECU's :bored:

Go with whatever 99-04 ECU you want, just make sure you find one specific to the transmission your using (AKA: manual ECU for manual trans, Auto ECU for auto trans)

I was merely stating the simplicity of using the 03/04 Cobra ECU due to it being factory supercharged and its really hard to beat factory ECU's for driveability and street manners vs hacked ECU's running other code, I've only tried that myself a dozen or so times but I know nothing about the subject apparently :shrug:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Hacked ECU's running other code? How so? don't understand what your trying to say?
And what computer it is has ZERO factor on driveability, you could have an 03-04 Cobra ECU in there with a CRAP tune and it'll run awful!

Last edited:

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
I used to be heavily into tuning EEC IV's (88-95 stangs) A few years after the 94-95 cars came out we were using EEC Tuners/Tweecers/Chipmaster software/hardware to copy and mimic the fox body EEC into the 94-95 cars due to the crappy programming Ford decided to use in them. I was fairly successful with my 95 Cobra after hours of tuning and trial and error. It has been done elsewhere that I know of as well but like anything code related, there are always "bugs" that you have to work out.

I was speaking to the OP because he basically is going to have an 03-04 Cobra engine in his car and to make his swap easier that would be the EEC of choice for me. When you take an EEC that was never intended to be used with forced induction you are asking for hours of tuning and trial and error and possibly broken parts... You have to rig up MAP sensors, create boost tables, scale load ranges well beyond 100% VE, etc.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
That's what Diablo CMR and SCT software is for, pretty much a piece of cake for a skilled tuner and not as time comsuming as you stated, although some hours will be logged on the Dyno rollers etc.. but that's a given!

Last edited:

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
True, its much easier now days! Still need hours of dyno and tuning time though and thats expensive! And CMR and SCT's PRP stuff isn't cheap...

65DOHCStang

Established Member
I'm using 01 Cobra electronics on mine and Delta Force software to tune it. No problems. Connect the IAT sensor wiring to the IAT2 sensor so you get real manifold temps instead of MAF temps and it works great.

Users who are viewing this thread