BEST drag wheel/tire setup for lowered '04

scottGT500

Established Member
28 will drop your end gear ratio making a 3.55 like a 3.31 or 3.27, the 26 let's you keep that 3.55. So basically it adjusts your gearing. Have you been to the track with this setup b4? If you have wat gear were u in at wat rpm at the finish?

I haven't been in this car yet. I am leaning towards a 26" tall tire (16" wheel). I just can't decide if I should go bias ply while keeping my radial nt05's up front....I have always read and been told not to mix....but it appears that the guys that actually race a lot do it all the time.....:shrug:

Blackedout

Established Member
What wheel/tire specifically? Is there a benefit for 26" over 28" and vice versa?

I know most do a 15" but I don't want to modify anything so I guess 16" will get the nod.

I run a 26" tire... couldn't get a 28" tire to fit as mine is also lowered..

BMR Tech

IMAG0884-1.jpg

BMR Tech

Racestar (Dark Stars)
185-17 MH Radials up front
295/55-15 MT Drag Radials out back

Thanks

Blackedout

Established Member
What is your setup specifically?

The CO pic Tim posted is mine it had ZERO wobble on the track with the street tires up front... I have bogart D 10's 16 x 10 rear with MT ET streets 26/11.5/16 with skinnies up front now... I could not get 28's to fit with being lowered...

scottGT500

Established Member
Ok, based on all of your wonderful comments and suggestions...I will keep my NT05's up front (at least until I get really serious lol). And get this combo...

16"x10" rear wheel (so no modification needed at all)...diamond or whoever has the cheapest wheels.

MT ET Street (bias ply) 26x11.50x16

HOPING it won't get too weird or dangerous at the big end with the sway associated with mixing radial and bias ply.

Let me know if I am making the right choice....or if I should go with a MT ET RADIAL instead of bias ply......

Thanks guys!

Scott

Ralo

Established Member
My favorite are the weld rts with black centers 17x4.5 with 15x10 rear.

I like those wheels a lot but I would go with chrome because I'm not for the silver accents on the black.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Agreed. I don't want to spend big $$ on something I won't use very often, that is why I am thinking about the diamond ones...
That's why I use to run the 94-96 GT wheels, light, clear the brakes and irs and cheap! I ran 27x10.5 et streets with eibach pro kit lowering springs with no ISOs.

ian04

Established Member
This is what I want to run:

MT ET 295/50/16 (28x11.5R16)

Acceptable wheel width of 8"-10"

Tons of sidewall, good contact patch (295). BUT @28" tall. Is that tire height going to work on my lowered car? Too tall maybe?

Scott

thats the size of tire i am going to run this year but hoosiers on 96 gt rims i am lowered 1.5 inches on hr sport springs i have enuf room for the 28s i did roll my fenders just be safe but they shouldnt rub on anything i to didnt want a ton of money wraped up in something i was only going to use a few times a year i have 500 bucks in this setup

Last edited:

chrisb07

Boost!
Established Member
This is a 275/60/15 mt et street (28" tire) on a car lowered 2" in the rear. I'm probably going to roll the fenders or maybe raise it back a just a little bit.

20130412_151035_zpsce2b3c9b.jpg

20130412_151043_zps8f4e569c.jpg

Don't mind the dirty car haha

scotts99snake

Established Member
I have 16" Weld ProStars on the back of mine with 26x9.5x16 Hoosiers. I was too cheap to buy the front runners at the same time....which I regret. My car is lowered on Kenny Brown springs and I don't think I could have tucked a 28" tire under it. Even with the 16" wheel, I had to grind the brake caliper. I will admit, it was VERY minor (maybe from the epoxy paint I had on the calipers?) it still contacted. The first pass I made I scared the crap out of myself. I had the Hoosiers on the back and NT05s on the front. The car felt loose the whole way down the track. I couldn't understand why I could only cut a 1.8 60" (which I was getting with my NT05Rs) until I realized I smoked the clutch. I am only 575ish at the wheels so hopefully you have already upgraded your clutch. Otherwise, you are on borrowed time. Hope this helps some.

scottGT500

Established Member
I have 16" Weld ProStars on the back of mine with 26x9.5x16 Hoosiers. I was too cheap to buy the front runners at the same time....which I regret. My car is lowered on Kenny Brown springs and I don't think I could have tucked a 28" tire under it. Even with the 16" wheel, I had to grind the brake caliper. I will admit, it was VERY minor (maybe from the epoxy paint I had on the calipers?) it still contacted. The first pass I made I scared the crap out of myself. I had the Hoosiers on the back and NT05s on the front. The car felt loose the whole way down the track. I couldn't understand why I could only cut a 1.8 60" (which I was getting with my NT05Rs) until I realized I smoked the clutch. I am only 575ish at the wheels so hopefully you have already upgraded your clutch. Otherwise, you are on borrowed time. Hope this helps some.

Yes clutch is RXT now...so I am hopefully good on that.

Thank you for giving me a real world description of how it is with bias ply rears with radial fronts...I don't want the "scared the crap out of me" feeling (at 645whp). So, should I still get the bias ply rears (which are better vs radial) and pony up the $$ and get matching bias ply skinnies up front? OR keep my nt05 fronts and get a MT ET RADIAL to run so it won't be "too" weird on the big end....?

Thanks!!!!

Ralo

Established Member
My car sits pretty low and I run the diamond racing wheels with 26" ET Streets

I cut the stock springs to give it a shot before I ordered H&Rs and ended up liking it the way it is. Think I cut about 3/4 of a coil and I don't remember which isos are in, it's been too long ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread