Best halogen upgrade without going HID's??

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Just wondering what everyone has used. I like the HID kits but I'm not a fan of how they look in a halogen housing. May go that route in the end but wanted to try this first. I posted this in the Terminator section but figured there would be more of a chance to get some feedback here with models other than the 03-04.

Anyway, I searched and only found very old threads on these bulbs. Anyone used the Eurolight Xenon charged or PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs?? If so, what's your opinion and post pics if you have them.

Biggest difference is cost. I can get the Eurolight headlight and foglight bulbs for the same price as just the PIAA headlight only bulbs.

Any help is appreciated.

bullitt890

Established Member
very happy with my PIAA's in my denali. lasted about 4 years and made a noticable difference.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
The PIAA in my old car was allright. I had the extreme white plus 4000k. It did give out a whiter look but i eventually went H.I.D. I heard Sylvania Silverstars are very good also.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Thanks guys.....yeah I had heard the PIAA's were one of the best.

When searching I saw alot of posts about the Eurolights and everyone having good results with them. But those posts were as old as 2005. I went to the website and apparently they're still in business and have great prices. I may try those and see.

Like I said, I may end up going HID's anyway, but just wanted to try the best halogen upgrade first.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I have always put Silverstars in my cars, they make a difference, but not a huge one.

Not to thread jack, but does anyone know where the best place is to get HID's.
Honestly, I'm not even sure if that is what I want.
I had a buddy that put something in his Cobra that made the lights look almost blue. It was dark and I never took the time to walk around and look at the actual headlight housing. The headlights I am looking for I think come std. on high end cars.

I searched the net, but all i found was euro looking headlights, is that all I have for options? I want to find something that look as close to stock as possible but give me that bright blue look.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
I went from stock to Silverstars and barely noticed a change. It was brighter, but the output still blew. When I got new headlamps, they came with some Philips bulbs and I just used the instead of the Silverstars... Didn't look any dimmer than before.

Now I'm running some ricer blue bulbs. EuroDezigns are the brand. The bulbs use blue glass (or a blue tint? I dunno). They are a tiny bit brighter, and look pretty cool. The light I see from the car looks blue, but the from outside, they light upmostly white with a hint of blue. I got the same fog light bulbs as well and they look like the stockies... Probably because the bulb is about 1/4th the size of the headlight bulb.

IMO if you're looking for something that is truely noticeably brighter than stock, there is nothing that can replace HID's. I spent $45 or so on the silverstars and was pissed that they were barely brighter than stock. Not worth the $$ IMO.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
hit up ebay or google HID conversion.
Your best bet would be a retrofit. Check out HIDplanet.com

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
And on that note, my friend (C.K. on here I think) got an HID kit for his Cobra for about $130 I think? Both heads and fogs. Schweet deal

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
hit up ebay or google HID conversion.
Your best bet would be a retrofit. Check out HIDplanet.com

That's the thing. The way a stock halogen housing dispurses the light and creates some glare with a retrofit is the part I don't really care for. I would like to get some projector headlights to do the HID conversion the right way but I haven't found projector headlights yet that don't look rice.

Hence why I figured, for the low cost, I could try some halogens first and if not satisfied, go with HID's.

Decisions, decisions.

Definitely don't do the Illuminics. I upgraded to those and the light seems to have grown dimmer. High beams no longer work on them either. I'm trying the Silverstars next.

TheBocSez

Professional leash Holder
Established Member
I have always put Silverstars in my cars, they make a difference, but not a huge one.

Not to thread jack, but does anyone know where the best place is to get HID's.Honestly, I'm not even sure if that is what I want.
I had a buddy that put something in his Cobra that made the lights look almost blue. It was dark and I never took the time to walk around and look at the actual headlight housing. The headlights I am looking for I think come std. on high end cars.

I searched the net, but all i found was euro looking headlights, is that all I have for options? I want to find something that look as close to stock as possible but give me that bright blue look.

Thanks!

This is one of the least expensive places I have seen for HID's
http://www.vvme.com/catalog/list-s-10145-10146.html

Users who are viewing this thread