Best Heat Exchanger

Ryushin

Established Member
I'm trying to figure out the best performing heat exchanger. Fluidyne has released a new 3 row HE. Gord's web site doesn't list the characteristics of the Lightning Performance versus their own. I like that Gord's has the fan option and the others don't. I searched but no one is comparing these three against each other.

So which one is best?

Gords', Fluidyne's, or LFP?

Last edited:

03dsgsnake

Established Member
heat exchange

Afco double wall from lethal performance, hands down the best, ive had fluidyne and lfp no comment call jared hell take good care of you

Ryushin

Established Member
Well, according to Gord's web site, it can hold more fluid than the Afco. Does Gord's web site perhaps compare the old Afco?

xenodragon

Established Member
Afco. I just installed my dual pass afco, super easy install. No cutting or molding of the pipes provided.

I honestly think there is little to no difference between any of them...they are all bigger than the stock one. I chose the afco based on how easy it is to put on.

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Afco double wall from lethal performance, hands down the best, ive had fluidyne and lfp no comment call jared hell take good care of you

Just out of curiousity what are you basing this statement off of? I've never seen any testing to show how any HE is more effecient than another.

Ultimately there isn't much of a difference between the 3 H/Es above. Its all going to come down to how much volume each holds and whether you can justify the price. I wanted the Gords but I couldn't justify the over $400 price. Instead got an AFCO double pass from RPM Outlet for $270 shipped.

If price isn't a concern then I would go with the Gords. Slightly more coolant capacity. Couple that with one of the larger IC tank reservoirs available and then dilute the coolant mix to 80% water - 20% coolant and 4oz of water wetter and you have a vastly improved IAT2 cooling system.

03dsgsnake

Established Member
Just out of curiousity what are you basing this statement off of? I've never seen any testing to show how any HE is more effecient than another.

Basing on my personal experience, ive had all and like i said the afco's holding capcity, quality and ease of installation worked for me the best ! And lethal had em and jared reccomended the afco and trust him and guess what, he wasnt wrong:

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
If price isn't a concern then I would go with the Gords. Slightly more coolant capacity. Couple that with one of the larger IC tank reservoirs available and then dilute the coolant mix to 80% water - 20% coolant and 4oz of water wetter and you have a vastly improved IAT2 cooling system.
I agree, the Gord's is the biggest/best but for the money I'd go with the AFCO from Lethal. However, I would pass on the IC reservoir unless you're going to put ice in it at the track otherwise it will just add volume to the system which, once it becomes heatsoaked, takes longer to cool down.

Ryushin

Established Member
So there are opinions that the Afco, Gord, and LFP are all good products. I remember reading in another thread that LFP's is the second largest with Gord's being the largest in fluid capacity. It seems that there isn't much information on the new 3 row Fluidyne. Maybe Gord's with the cooling fans and a large IC reservoir would be the absolute best solution to prevent heat soak.

Apicia

Established Member
The LFP HE is not an easy install? Which one has the easiest install?

So there are opinions that the Afco, Gord, and LFP are all good products. I remember reading in another thread that LFP's is the second largest with Gord's being the largest in fluid capacity. It seems that there isn't much information on the new 3 row Fluidyne. Maybe Gord's with the cooling fans and a large IC reservoir would be the absolute best solution to prevent heat soak.

Several posters on this site and MF have identified long ago that the cooling fans that the Gord's H/E comes with didn't reduce the temps in the IC system while driving. May do something for cooling in the pits but there are other ways to cool the IC system before a pass. And those fans aren't cheap.

Ryushin

Established Member
Yea, it stands to reason that the fans will have no affect while driving. Maybe I can hook the fans to a thermostat and have them turn on once the the fluid reaches a certain temperature.

My whole thing is, I only want to purchase the absolute best for my cobra. If something costs 50% more and is only 10% better, I'll pay the extra.

This is why I consider BAP's and other such devices a cludge. The proper thing to do is properly engineer the fuel system with enough redundancy built in that you'll never starve your engine for fuel and hear your engine grenade.

Yea, it stands to reason that the fans will have no affect while driving. Maybe I can hook the fans to a thermostat and have them turn on once the the fluid reaches a certain temperature.

My whole thing is, I only want to purchase the absolute best for my cobra. If something costs 50% more and is only 10% better, I'll pay the extra.

This is why I consider BAP's and other such devices a cludge. The proper thing to do is properly engineer the fuel system with enough redundancy built in that you'll never starve your engine for fuel and hear your engine grenade.

Purchasing the best for your Cobra is one thing. Purchasing things that are not needed and useless are another. The latter is just unnecessary spending.

Users who are viewing this thread