Best High flow catalytic converter

wreckit

Established Member
Wanted to get some information on High-flow cats.

Which do you think are the best?
- Vibrant high flow spun
- Flowmaster high flow spun
- Magnaflow
.... etc

I recently took the cats off my x-pipe to see what it would sound like, performance gains, torque gains, etc..
Well, l do like the sound without cats but only in certain RPM ranges and would like to pass emissions when that time comes.

Would like to know what setup you're running and how you like em.

ctgreddy

Established Member
overall the Kooks green cats are the best. They flow good to not restrict power and I've never seen one melt down. I have seen just about every other brand melt down with high horsepower(700+). That includes the regular kooks cats, arh's, sw's, bbk, slp, and stockers.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
magnaflow 2.5" catted pipe with factory '04 manifolds. The pipe has been on the car for many, many years. At least 7 years. Car dynos 714/680 and they are still fully functional. Sounds great, makes big low end TQ, emmissions compliant. Fuel is E85.

wreckit

Established Member
magnaflow 2.5" catted pipe with factory '04 manifolds. The pipe has been on the car for many, many years. At least 7 years. Car dynos 714/680 and they are still fully functional. Sounds great, makes big low end TQ, emmissions compliant. Fuel is E85.

What type of cats are they using? The "spun" or the box oval looking one? Plus, is it the universal cat?

Been reading up on the Flowmaster 2230130 cat. Most people really like it and it gets rid of the potent fuel smell.

My car is straight piped now. do not like the lose of torque or the Raspy tone... Not my style.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
What type of cats are they using? The "spun" or the box oval looking one? Plus, is it the universal cat?

Been reading up on the Flowmaster 2230130 cat. Most people really like it and it gets rid of the potent fuel smell.

My car is straight piped now. do not like the lose of torque or the Raspy tone... Not my style.

I believe they are the standard box oval type. I tried going to magnaflow website to look the part up, but had no luck doing that. Not sure if it's made any longer. There are no overwhelming odors at all.

I get the exhaust question all the time at car meets when people realize how much power this car makes....and then they look under hood and see the factory manifolds and notice how quiet the idle is and obviously catted mid pipe....it just doesn't "compute" with most gear heads. They automatically assume big hp/tq must be accompanied by an obnoxious long tube/catless setup. The GM folks are the worst at this haha

NC03SVT

Established Member
Magnaflow used to make a hi flow X pipe with metallic spun cats. They are discontinued now but you can still find them online some places but they are like $700. part number 16430

wreckit

Established Member
Magnaflow used to make a hi flow X pipe with metallic spun cats. They are discontinued now but you can still find them online some places but they are like $700. part number 16430

:nonono:
that is expensive!

C6z - I tried looking up parts on magnaflows newly redesigned web page.... It is outright horrible.

NC03SVT

Established Member
I would call Lethal first because I tried to order the higher flow(16430) one off their website last year and they emailed me a few days later saying that it was discontinued, they just hadn't updated their website. Im guessing they don't stock some items and they ship directly from the manufacturer.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I would call Lethal first because I tried to order the higher flow(16430) one off their website last year and they emailed me a few days later saying that it was discontinued, they just hadn't updated their website. Im guessing they don't stock some items and they ship directly from the manufacturer.

thats a good point. Definitely call before swiping a card.

For giggles, I checked summit racing and they showed the 15480 available as well.....but....says it won't "ship" until April 7th. Probably the lead time from Magnaflow. Of course, if it's discontinued, its discontinued...and then you have your money tied up for vaporware. These vendors need to update their sites if it's clearly gone for good

Users who are viewing this thread