Best inner rim chrome cleaner?

paulk

Established Member
My inner rims look like crap...

There's some very rough dirt that is very hard to clean off from the inside. I tried Simple Green, Magic Power degreasers and they do a good job but they can't get rid of it all.

Is there some heavy duty product out there that can really get rid of all that junk inside the rim?

jpk

Established Member
I've been polishing my damn rims for two days, thanks to the folks that informed me I have acres of chrome hiding under gray paint. I used the Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and it leaves a brilliant shine. Local car parts stores carry it. If you can't find it, Mother's makes a similar chrome polish called Mag Polish or something like that.

If you have heavy grease to cut through, use a wheel cleaner first and the follow with the chrome polish to make it shine. I used Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner and it cut through most of the gunk quickly. You will probably end up using half the bottle on all four rims. You spray it all over the rim and let it sit for a few minutes, then just wash it off.

Folks on this board pointed out that if you apply a few coats of wax after you clean and polish, they will stay easy to clean for years. You'll just need to wash them off with and won't have to scrub as long as they stay waxed.

jpk

Established Member
Oh yeah, and the Turtle Wax stuff was so good that it actually cut through the gray paint after working it in vigorously. It smells like the stuff you use to polish silverware.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Eagle One All Wheel & Tire cleaner (or A2Z in some places). The old bottle looks like the picture below, but the new bottle is gray. Either formula will work fine! Use that stuff and let it soak, then use a brush and it should rinse clean!

bimg66.jpg

IndiaHatCobra

Established Member
Does that stuff work for built up brake dust that is caked on? What should I use to scrub the rim that wont scratch the chrome?

spree

Established Member
WickedDropTop said:
Does that stuff work for built up brake dust that is caked on? What should I use to scrub the rim that wont scratch the chrome?

clay bar.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Neverdull works pretty good on the build up brake dust as well... of course it is a bit time consuming...

paulk

Established Member
claybar isn't going to do anything for the dirt I have inside the rim. Even a stupid detailing brush with rough edges can't get it off, i'll try this eagle stuff tho thanks guys

spree

Established Member
paulk said:
claybar isn't going to do anything for the dirt I have inside the rim. Even a stupid detailing brush with rough edges can't get it off, i'll try this eagle stuff tho thanks guys

Yes it will. Get yourself an old, used up clay bar, take off your rim, grab some soapy water and some simple green. Use the simple green to take off as much dirt and brake dust as you can, then use the clay bar to remove the rest. Lube up the area with soapy water and run the clay over it. You will be surprised, trust me on this one.

2004svtcobra

Established Member
Go to Pep Boys and purchase "Aircraft Remover" Apply this stuff to the crappy paint inside of the '03-'04 stock chrome rims and the chrome will be revealed with a simple wipe of a rag. The chrome is not affected in anyway. Wear laytex gloves and don't breath the stuff. The stuff is NASTY and unhealthy.

paulk

Established Member
2004svtcobra said:
Go to Pep Boys and purchase "Aircraft Remover" Apply this stuff to the crappy paint inside of the '03-'04 stock chrome rims and the chrome will be revealed with a simple wipe of a rag. The chrome is not affected in anyway. Wear laytex gloves and don't breath the stuff. The stuff is NASTY and unhealthy.

what about on 2001 cobras, is it chrome inside as well?

DSGMach

Mach-oholic
Established Member
Also something I found that works awesome to keep your wheels clean is Poorboys Wheel Sealant. The stuff works awesome and smells great too :rockon:

paulk

Established Member
DSG Thanks, but are 2001 chrome wheels "chrome" inside as well or is it just the '03-04 models?

DSGMach

Mach-oholic
Established Member
I'm not to sure. I have a buddy of mine that I could ask if no one else chimes in. By the way, what part of Boston are you in? I only ask cause I'm originally from Taunton, but the Air Force decided they needed me in Arkansas. Why I'll never know :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread