Best intercolle for gt500?

RARESNAKE

Established Member
I am searching for the best intercooler for my 07 gt500? What's your opinion? Steeda , VMP, OR C&R from Shelby store?

Thanks in advance

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
This has been beaten to death and there was a huge debate about it last year.
What is important is no one has compared them back to back and from what we hear they are very close to each other. Bottom line, buy whatever you want.

I went with VMP's triple pass and I made a thread about the numbers I got in the summer, I'll update it soon with winter numbers.

Mainn

Established Member
You mean heat exchanger, correct?

Ultimately, there's no right or wrong answer on this topic as they all work to some degree. Almost everyone will support what they run personally, and have a different opinion on which heat exchanger is the 'best'.

Having said that, of course, I support our (VMP) heat exchanger, and for very good reason - it has dual 11" fans (some of the largest on the market), it's plug-n-play for easier wiring installation, and it's one of the cheapest for what you receive. This thing is huge. And it works.

Let us know how we can assist you. :)

RARESNAKE

Established Member
You mean heat exchanger, correct?

Ultimately, there's no right or wrong answer on this topic as they all work to some degree. Almost everyone will support what they run personally, and have a different opinion on which heat exchanger is the 'best'.

Having said that, of course, I support our (VMP) heat exchanger, and for very good reason - it has dual 11" fans (some of the largest on the market), it's plug-n-play for easier wiring installation, and it's one of the cheapest for what you receive. This thing is huge. And it works.

Let us know how we can assist you. :)

What's the best deal?

railroad

Established Member
I can give you a couple of things to consider in your research. Plug and Play wiring is really nice. The same on the hose and plumbing. I do not understand why something supposedly built from scratch would not have the plumbing fixtures in the same location and oriented the same as the factory. Anyway, check the amp rating or cfm rating on the fans. All 10" or 11" fans are not the same. Most of this has been easy, but now for the single pass, dual pass, triple pass flow designs. There is not a manufacturer out there that does not look for a cheaper way to make a product. Naturally, the consumer is the one that takes the hit on this. If your new heat exchanger requires new hoses, make sure and use the best on the market, which may not be what comes with the unit. If you get to the point of buying and installing, be sure to check everything before putting it all back together. I had a little issue, but fortunately did not have to disassemble anything. I would recommend looking at the Killer Chiller, but things seem to have hit a wall with getting orders filled. Hopefully the company is just swamped with orders.

Sirraf

Established Member
Is VMP running any christmas sales on their HE? I'm in the market for one.

Mainn

Established Member
What's the best deal?

Is VMP running any christmas sales on their HE? I'm in the market for one.

RARESNAKE and Sirraf,

Take a look in our section of the GT500 sub-forum. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?378-VMP-Tuning
There's a sticky in there with the SVTP discount code which can be used for most of the products on the 'site, including heat exchangers. It brings the VMP H/E to just over $750 (plus shipping) (assuming I can do maths at 10:30pm). :)

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I'm running the Revan Racing's C+R. Revan actually developed the unit for Shelby American.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I am searching for the best intercooler for my 07 gt500? What's your opinion? Steeda , VMP, OR C&R from Shelby store?

Thanks in advance
Call me tomorrow at 321.206.9369 x112 and I will get you a great price that isn't advertised yet.

The VMP has the largest Spal fans in the business. Race and street proven performance. Drop in installation on your car.

Bj

Fast Ford

Established Member
Afco or VMP are the two I'd look at, I think the C&R's are a bit pricy. Don't forget to add a 3X coolant reservoir, the more coolant available the better.

RARESNAKE

Established Member
What was so tricky about the vmp install? That's the one I leaning towards if they really give me a deal I can't pass up.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I called lethal performance and they recommended the Afco since that's what they run on all there cars. I Need one now
Afco builds the VMP, just to a significantly higher level of performance with three passes instead of two, 11" fans instead of 10" and VMP exclusive plug and play connectors.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Three of us in CO are purchasing the VMP. Not hacking into the wiring harness was a huge consideration for us as we're all anal about keeping things as plug and play as possible. We're looking for more consistency from our 1/2 and standing mile runs.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
On my 08 I had to notch the splitter so it would go around the HE. Also trimmed the gravel shield to fit. This probably could have been done without trimming the gravel shield but it would have meant jamming it in between the HE and splitter. I have a thing about jamming parts to make them fit. Had to relocate the power steering cooling line down. Was told to just bend it but then again that forcing something to fit. There are some wings that direct air flow that have to be trimmed but no big deal. The mechanical part of the install went fine just getting things to fit. Was well worth the effort as it works great. Knocks down the temps by around 30 degrees.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
+1 for the VMP Triple pass unit. A little trimming here and there will be necessary to fit, but absolutely a cake walk. Its a BIG upgrade over the stock H/E just in shear capacity let alone performance. I combined mine with a 3x reservoir too.

Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I have VMP's unit, I only needed to trim the side wings. Only other difficulty was getting the H/E to bolt where it should, since its a HUGE unit I needed some help but with extra set of hands it took minutes to get it up there.

Users who are viewing this thread