Best Mods on a Cobra for $2 to $3K.

arods93snake

1 of 185
Established Member
Stangers

First off, I plan on never selling my 93 Cobra. She will be passed down to my son who loves it to death at 4 yrs old.:thumbsup:

That being said, I would like some input on what are the best mods suggested on a 45K Teal/Black Cobra. I know 1 of 185, what are you thinking about, etc. etc. etc. but like I said above.....till death do us part:rockon:

She is completely stock down to the air silencer. She lives indoors and has been babied since ownership. I am looking at investing about $2 to $3K into her to wake her up a bit with top notch, tasteful mods. I would like to probably do the AFR 165's with a cam and maybe a full magnaflow exhaust but what would be the best to start with and what else.

Any ideas? I do plan on possibly supercharging in the future but would like to try to get the most power from my stock short block and have new car reliabilty. I want to definitely keep the stock look at all costs but have the performance and handling of a supercar. Kinda like a GT-500E without the bling. Thanks!

Arod

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
heads and cam and you will be pleased. I would also work in a 13" front brake upgrade in the mod list to. After those items, the car will be perfect.

carguy19

Established Member
Id save for the supercharger kit or a turbo kit. They work well with the stock GT40 stuff and they dont hurt the value any. Things always get more complicated when you go into the motor for anything.

Floored

Established Member
I thought about HCI, but those stock parts on the Cobra are part of what makes it special so I decided to leave as is and get a supercharger for mine. I have the cash for the kit but I'm really enjoying hoarding it all at the moment so I haven't purchased it yet, but I will sooner or later I'm sure.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Gears (3.55's or 3.73's), exhaust (offroad H or X, and Magnaflow CB), and a basic supercharger (Vortech SC, or Paxton Novi 1000). Then later, 13" brakes and 5 lug upgrade, wheels, and springs, and control arms. Then after that, aluminum driveline, shifter and a new clutch. At that point, maybe headers (BBK ceramic coated shorty unequals) and a stereo system. Then maybe some poly suspension upgrades, and a stiffer front sway bar. Obviously you can mix and match in any order. It's best to try and do a complete section at the same time (springs, control arms, poly bushings, etc)

There are options you can do during all that as far as making it more durable. Like, you can do the 5 lug and gears at the same time, and while you're in there, upgrade to 31 spline. Then hopefully you'll never have to go into the rearend again. When you do a clutch, upgrade to a tremec TKO500 along with the aluminum driveline and shifter. Then you're only buying a shifter and a clutch once.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
carguy19 said:
Id save for the supercharger kit or a turbo kit. They work well with the stock GT40 stuff and they dont hurt the value any. Things always get more complicated when you go into the motor for anything.

Value means nothing if you are not going to sell as he stated in the above post. Blower are ok but doing the power adder route I would suggest turbo over a blower any day. Also blowers kill the cleanliness of an engine compartment. Belt dust goes everywhere. I couldn't believe how nasty my engine compartment was when I removed my engine a couple of weeks ago. I made up my mind then I would never put a supercharger on any of my vehicles again.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I just added a Pro - M, SHO electric fan, Cobra R aluminum Radiator, H&R sport springs, Tokico 5 way adjustables and a 140 shot NOS dry kit (and NOS fuel pump of course).

All I can say is that I could NOT be happier. She could be a daily driver if I wanted her too, I can take her to a show and she looks almost all orginal, she can handle a road course with ease and I can go to the drags and rip off a low 12 second run with no problem. On motor she puts down 265rwhp / 300 tq and on spray she goes up to 380 / 491! Last friday I ran 1/8 mile and pulled a 1.8 60ft and ran an 8.0@89mph which is good for about 12.4 in the 1/4 mile.

I would not have done it any other way and I spent about $2,500 for everything including labor. (she already had all the other mods in my sig which all contribute of course). Oh and the Mc Cloud Twin Disc immediately became necessary too...

Cobraslammedside.jpg

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Shorty Headers - $300
O/R H - $150
Cat back - $300
3.73's - $500
Springs/struts - $500
10 min tune up - $40

That is less than 2k and it will make the car so much more fun to drive:thumbsup:

buddha93

Established Member
Start with the AFR's and cam like you mentioned. Slap a set of 3.73's and that car will be a blast to drive with that setup. Then save up for the blower and put it on with your sons old enough to help you turn a wrench..........makin' memories. Later.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
The Mc Cloud is AWESOME. Mine is built to handle 700lbs of torque so it is a little stiff but it is not a daily so I don't mind. I find I can launch with more control as well. The clutch does cause a little more vibration at high rpm but it is not a cadillac either so I don't mind.

Bad Boy - Immokalee is an 1/8 mile track, a bunch of us went out there last Friday.

AFR's and TFS Stage 1 cam are in my future as well...

Users who are viewing this thread