Best motor ? keep my car ?

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Ok so Im now thinkin of keepin my car and doin it the way I want .Im still lookin at 3 different turbo cobras tho but all of them are very far away. I also found a nice black roller with 6k on the body up in NY for 17grand with a blown motor and some boltons. I told him15,500 firm, waiting to see if he counters. Assuming none of those work out soon, then I might just keep my car and gut it.

A) whats my longblock worth and my whipple ? Would anyone buy it all assembled ? I know the whipple is worth $2500 all day with the single blade TB.

B) what longblock should I get? Should I keep my 04 heads ? I seen MMR selling the 1100 longblock and it comes with FR500 heads. Im on the fence about MMR tho. I like what I hear about VT motors and Modular Powerhouse out of GA makes some nice blocks too from what I hear.

C) Would it be worth gettin cams while Im at it to save future labor costs ? I know the cam would help the turbo spool up alot faster too.

D) Custom turbo kit ? Hellion ? The hellion is nice but the downpipe and turbo are junk as far as Im concerned, I hear way too many stories from the Supra/skyline/import guys about turbonetics . I would get bigger downpipe and get a differnet turbo. So for that matter should I just get a kit fabricated for less then the costly Hellion ?

E) Auto, built T56 or keep the tranny as it is ? Seems like most of the turbo cobras I see have an upgraded T56, is it really worth it ?

If anyone is interested in a stock longblock plus a whipple and you can pull it out then Id be inclined to keep my car and get the new motor right away, then I could do the turbo in the next few months. I know the end result would be an ultra rare comp orange with low miles, perfect body and a sick motor/turbo setup.

Im also tired of hearin from ppl about buying a built car and how I should do it myself. Im also gettin alot of feedback from ppl who say to keep my car. Theres several comp o's listed right now with my miles that are stock for over 30 grand which is what I was gonna sell it for loaded with 15k+ in mods.

Suggestions, opinions, positive feedback or links anyone .......

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
The whole MMR and VT thing is, they are just a name like any other local machine shop.

Save some shipping and find a local builder with modular experience. A short block is just a short block. The heads, if you upgrade them, should be done by an experienced mod motor shop.

My aluminum block is being stroked locally, then assembly of the heads and long block will be done at my brother-in-laws, ( JLP ) The engine builder is 30 miles from Lancaster, PA. He builds approx. 25 motors per month for Johnny's Lightning and Cobra customers. He built Tommy's, (F8TLBITE) motor. Tommy kept stock heads and cams and no port work.

Their number is 717.786.4670. Johnny has a twin turbo truck of his own. He could do an engine build top to bottom and do the turbo kit and tune. One stop shopping !!

Good luck with your decision. Should be able to get 6-7K from your complete long block with blower, IMO..

J.R.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
You know my feeling's on the Comp O color. I say keep it and stop changing your mind so damn much :poke: . I'm glad I had to wait so long for the black car to be finished, makes waiting for the white car's build a breeze.

Just don't forget to keep it gangsta bro :rockon:

Last edited:

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
KEEP IT GOD DAMNIT!!!!!! If it aint broke dont fix it, drive it like it is until something breaks and build it then. You've got a turbo in your head but think about it, unless your going to be racing at the track every weekend you'll never use the full potential of a 700HP+ car. Even with my ported eaton nobody messes with me. So unless you're running bikes(which will be on the steet, remember in VA its 1 day in jail for every MPH over 90) the turbo is overkill in my book.

TRBO VNM

the turbo that comes with the hellion kit is a lot different than anything the import crowd uses or even has access to. they are made specifically for Urist. Call turbonetics ourself. you also won't find another turbo manufacturer that will warranty their turbo like turbonetics. after I hit the wall, they replaced it straight out within 2 weeks. no rebuild or anything. just sent me a new one. Bryan has it, take a look at it if you don't believe me.

the downpipe, you can easily find a place to fabricate a larger one. I know a few people trying that and know of a couple who have done it.

their stuff is far from junk. all the piping is stainless steel and made at bassani and has a lifetime warranty.

you say you have an issue with MMR, well do your research. I know people you have gone through multiple VT motors and it is all over the boards. every company has bad apples and unforunate things happen. it is how they treat you after and how they handle the situation that matters. so far my MMR motor is showing very strong. I actually think the compression ratio is a bit higher than factory as well, but I could be wrong. like JR said, they "could" be just a name. although I think Al P and Jim M. are way more than a name based on their experience and what they have shown they can continue to produce.

hell, Matt just ran a 10.18 and lowered his boost like 4# from when he ran the 10.13 or whatever it was. that is one strong SOB motor he has and great setup.

Last edited:

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Oh jose you know I know all about jail and speeding. I got 30 days for doin 92 , remember . Servin time in a jail in the middle of a swamp in southern va while poisonous spiders and snakes climbed thru our bunks is enough to make me think twice about doin 90. I only get stupid with it down at Lake Anna where you see a cop once a week. But ya I have the turbo in my head at this point and Im gonna get it. As far as the hellion kit goes, I dont see the value in it as it comes from the factory. I noticed all the heavyweights use bigger downpipe and a better turbo. I dont wanna just throw a kit on there if Im doin this ground up build. Im gonna have to agree on the block tho , i think im gonna save myself some time, money and hassle and stay local. Get my own block built or get one out of a 99 somewhere. Then do some FR500 heads and sell my heads. I am thinkin about this MMR900 , built T56, car with a hellion in florida for 32 grand. If I dont do that then its gonna be my orange car gettin built.
Hopefully your right JR and I can get 7 grand, then I could just get a longblock and call it a day. Im gonna have to do a ton of research in the next few days to help me make a decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Steve -

I don't have any advice but whatever you do it'll be done right. I think most of us know your taste. The sick Saleen and the Comp O are top notch!

TRBO VNM

und3rgr0undk1ng said:
As far as the hellion kit goes, I dont see the value in it as it comes from the factory. I noticed all the heavyweights use bigger downpipe and a better turbo.

this just proves you have not done your research. have you seen Mark Larsen, (Buster)? you need to do more research before you make a decision like this. Have you seen Jon Lund and what he has done?

all the other kits are twins, which are smaller turbo's and have smaller downpipes. what heavy hitters are you talking about with these terminators? the only large thing is the Beast Kit, made by Hellion with I think a 4 or maybe 5" downpipe and 88mm turbo.

I think you should go with a custom kit. it will make it that much more worth the money.
good luck

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Thanks bro, you know I dont like havin what everyone else has or I get bored within days. No matter what I do tho I wanna chasis with low miles, so buying a high mile cobra and guttin isnt an option altho it would be the cheapest way to go.

Cuz I have a hookup thru ford and Im waitin on a price for the heads and camshaft kit as we speak. I like the better cooling and flow that the FR500's get . I'll get prices for gettin my heads worked and compare to my price on the FR500'S. Just thought it would be nice to get everything new if Im gonna do this. MMR sells longblocks for $7700 that includes the 1100 block and FR500's so Im using that as somewhat of a reference point.

The turbo car that I was on the verge of buyin ended up belonging to the infamous Leo who has a price on his head now since phuckin over sum ppl on here . What a shame, I was gonna get his 03 with 18k miles, MMR900, built T56, hellion, corbeaus, fuel system, etc, etc.... for 32 grand. Now I feel aprehensive about dealin with him knowin what I just found out. So at this point Im leaning heavily towards keepin the car or buyin a roller.

That mystic hellion car is a good deal but the guy says he wants to sell it to me and then doesnt respond for 2 days, then hes tellin someone else 30 grand and tellin me 31 grand so who knows wsup with him. I really wanted that mystic, it has a solid rear and hellion , all it needs is a nice block and some headwork and call it a day. Back to the drawing board for me !!

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Steve

Trying to keep up with your car plans, is like watching a woman try on clothes before going out on the town!

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Yes red9450 I know that now. I was close to bookin a flight too , wow !

And bro , dont even joke cuz I do that too ! Im such a metrosexual eh
Speakin of which I better start pickin out sum clothes for the beach woo hoooo.

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
Did I miss something? Why do you want to build a completely new motor when the one you have now is fine? You could buy or fab any turbo system you wanted and do all the best supporting mods on the motor you have now and be entirely fine and cost a lot less.

You don't need to go looking into built motors and ported heads, yada, yada, so forth and so on, etc. Especially if you dont have a specific goal set in mind. What power are you trying to make? What times are you trying to run? This kind of stuff factors in. All i've seen is something about you wanting to beat sport bikes....

Any turbo system you put on that car is going to be making more than enough power, not to mention that the motor will hold it all. And even if it does break, THEN you have a reason to go all out. Like Jose said If it's not broke dont fix it.

Besides. You should probably get used to driving your car as is and get good at driving it to the best of it's ability as it sits. Once you get high HP like that unless you're use to driving something similar is only going to get you upset and dissapointed when you've got a 700+whp car but running slower times than you are now because you cant hook up at all or cant launch it well.

Not knockin you or your plans but you should def check out all your options and do some heavy reading. If you're just looking for something to make 1000whp and not really be of any use on the street just so you can say you've got 1000hp then check the for sale section on those skyline/supra sites and i'm sure they'll have something that suites your needs.

my .02

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
01Lowboy said:
Did I miss something? Why do you want to build a completely new motor when the one you have now is fine?

Tim - You'll find your answer in the first line of post #10: "...you know I dont like havin what everyone else has or I get bored within days...". Wish I had that kind of disposable income!!

Steve - Sorry to hear that you're down on the MACA already. You say that MACA guys have been reluctant to help you - I didn't see it that way from the bleachers, but everyone's perspective is different, I guess. I didn't respond to this thread initially only because you already knew what I would say (yeah, yeah, keep the Comp O, heard it before). I'm far too inexperienced with these cars to offer any advice on building them, that's for sure!!

As far as the "cliques" thing, there isn't a noob out there that hasn't had to deal with some MACA clique issues, myself included. This doesn't just occur in high school, it happens throughout our lives. High school is just the first time we become aware of it. Any time you join a large group with members that have been friends for years, it's gonna take time and effort to develop friendships. I haven't been turned away by a single member, whether I was asking for help or just looking to strike up a conversation. At the GTG's, I generally start hanging out with the people I already know and then try to make a few new contacts. Just like I came over to you at Gettysburg to introduce myself and we talked briefly about your mirrors. Now we'll recognize each other at the next one and feel comfortable approaching and conversing with one another. That's just how it works, bro.

Anyway, hopefully you won't let it put a damper on this weekend. Vrooom! Vroom!

Tim

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Tim

I don't think it could have been put any better! You beat me to it. Nice new sig! Where's the convertible top boot?

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
I appreciate the feedback but dude where did you get the supra/skyline idea from ? Whats that have to do with what Im tryin to do ? I would never buy either. I simply wanna do this right if Im gonna do it. I wanna be able to get stupid with my car and not have to worry bout the motor.
I dont care about track times when I go turbo, I like the versatility of the turbo. I know my times wont improve, the track is fun but its rare that Im gonna be there . I have owned 3 blown stangs these last 2 years and Im simply bored with it , simple as that. So I figure I can build the motor while Im at it. If I can find a buyer for my longblock and whipple that gives me the cash needed to get a new longblock. Of course I'll need another 10 grand for the fuel and turbo but maybe I can enjoy my car for the next few months and then start the project in August or sumthin.
And if I go with that plan then Im certainly not gonna get a hellion like everyone else has. I at least wanna nicer downpipe setup. Of course if I find a deal on a used kit I'll live with it for now. No such deals seem to be available tho right now.
As far as the clicks go, Im not gonna get into that on this thread at all. I guess today Im gonna call Mike whos buyin my car and tell him Im in no rush to sell it. The car is runnin perfect and pulls like a raped gorillla. I'll continue to look out for deals on parts for now. Maybe I'll pull a Bryan and accumulate parts till Im ready to gut the car.

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
I am not sure if I have enough standing in the club to offer an opinion here- especially since I am Snakeless for the next two weeks... but most clubs have an everyone has an equal voice kind of approach, so I will add the proverbial .02 here....

It would seem as if Steve has what doctors refer to as, "restless car syndrome" aka RCS. There is no cure- no treatment or medication is going to help. I am speaking from experience because I myself through the years have kind of changed cars like I change socks. So no matter what he does- even if he was to get what he would consider the car of his dreams together- he is probably going to want to change the combo or the car shortly after.

I may have missed the part where Steve may have said that people here are reluctant to help him. I think that people have stepped up to the plate at the very least with advice following him soliciting it from everyone. With that said, I don't understand how in the original post he would then say that he is tired of hearing any advice (i.e. people telling him to keep his car...) from anyone- again, if you don't want to hear it, then don't ask for it. And even if you don't ask for it- people are going to offer unsolicited input in situations like this.

I am a newbie here- and am very thankful that everyone has been willing to help me out with advice, even when not asked for, and their time in working on our car, and in giving me good prices on hand me down parts!!! There probably are cliques here in the club- but mostly due to location and what cars people have and their setups. The fact that everyone can come together for the gtg's shows that everyone thinks everyone else is pretty ok. There is no way in creation that I would be looking to get anything other than a Cobra to replace the one that we just sold yesterday- because of the great group of peeps here.

With all that said- I am sure that Steve is stressing over his next move(s) in that it sounds like a buttload of money will be involved, and he probably is tired of dealing with his RCS (restless car syndrome) and wants to get it right!

Sounds like whatever direction he goes in the car will be badazz!

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
zaxjax said:
Where's the convertible top boot?

Crap! Forgot to put it on in my haste. :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Oh well. I'm not gonna re-do all that Photochopping...
Next time I'm running a proof by you Jason!

Users who are viewing this thread