Best place to mount IAT sensor??...

JP_Stang

Established Member
Hey guys,

I am going to purchase a Lightning IAT sensor for my Cobra. I have a meth kit that I will be running. The original owner just drilled and tapped the intake pipe right before the throttle body. I actually thought about converting the kit to a dual nozzle and having bungs welded to the pipe for a more secure and sealed connection. I know that I want to have the IAT sensor after the nozzles to get an accurate reading of intake air temps while spraying the meth. Currently my stock IAT sensor is mounted shortly after the MAF with the meth nozzle right before my TB.

Would I want to keep my nozzle where it is and mount the IAT sensor in the intake manifold somewhere? Or, should I put the new Lightning IAT sensor close to the TB and move the nozzle/nozzles down the piping but keeping them behind the MAF?

If mounting the IAT sensor in the intake manifold is the best thing to do, where would be the best place for this? I don't want the meth to spray right onto the sensor, correct? That would give me false reading also I would think.

I am kind of lost with this. Also, is it really worth upgrading to dual nozzles even?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
here's an old pic- don't comment on how dirty it is please. it's a good view for ya though. you can see that I staggered everything.
022-3.gif

JP_Stang

Established Member
Dirty?! Shit I would do anything for my engine bay to look as good as that!

What is tapped into your intake manifold inlet? I was thinking of putting the IAT sensor there? Yes/No??

What is the black tubing and what is the red tubing?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Dirty?! Shit I would do anything for my engine bay to look as good as that!

What is tapped into your intake manifold inlet? I was thinking of putting the IAT sensor there? Yes/No??

What is the black tubing and what is the red tubing?

if you are asking about the two ports I put post TB there- the red is the boost reference for my boost gauge/dyno boost guage/ meth boost ref. The black is the vacuum/boost reference for the BOV

JP_Stang

Established Member
What do you think about mounting the IAT sensor where you tapped your boost references? I would think that would give a pretty accurate reading? If I did it that way, I could keep my meth nozzle where it is....

Let me see if I can get a picture off my computer that shows where my meth line is now....

JP_Stang

Established Member
SDC11070.jpg

You can see the red line running up the intercooler piping and tapping into the back of the pipe right before the TB. Do you think the nozzle would be too close to the IAT sensor if I drilled and tapped the inlet of the intake manifold?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Not totally sure but have to wonder if having the iat sensor post throttle wouldn't mess with readings if your at idle or closed throttle. As in, the maf tube doesnt heat soak like the intake does.

JP_Stang

Established Member
Hmmm, great point! I think I need to rethink this....

Maybe I will just move my meth nozzle and put the IAT sensor in the intercooler piping close to the TB.

JP_Stang

Established Member
Yeah, I think that is what I will do. I may just put the IAT sensor where my meth nozzle is now, just redrill and tap the hole bigger, and then put my nozzle where the stock IAT sensor is now right behind the MAF.

Thanks guys!

JP_Stang

Established Member
What year Lightning do I want to tell the auto store? Also, do I call it the IAT2 sensor? I thought I read somewhere that the IAT is just like ours for the most part, but the IAT2 is the brass, threaded piece...

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah. It's the IAT2 sensor. I don't remember what year I said. I think a 2000 would work.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread