Best place to purchase racing helmet?

hoghunter

Get The Phone
Established Member
Last time I raced the inspection guy said my motorcycle helmet didn't meet the DOT/SNELL ratings...from what I hear these change periodically...anyways, where do you buy a helmet that meets the standard to race at the track and what is it that I'm looking for as far as ratings?

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
What size do you need? I have a medium and small Arai RX-7 helmets just sitting in my closet. I had my bike for 4 months, and the small was my wifes, that was probably on the back 5 times. I wouldn't mind selling them. I paid like $750 for each.

Let me know.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Last time I raced the inspection guy said my motorcycle helmet didn't meet the DOT/SNELL ratings...from what I hear these change periodically...anyways, where do you buy a helmet that meets the standard to race at the track and what is it that I'm looking for as far as ratings?
Yeah, gotta go with SA rated for NHRA compliance. I've used Safe Racer with good success.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
1) Snell rates helmets every 5 years, so the current rating is Snell 2005. Most sanctioning bodies allow for 2 ratings, so a Snell 2000 would be allowed. This will change when the Snell 2010 come out next year, then the oldest allowed will be Snell 2005.

2) The difference between car and bikes helmets is listed as SA and M. SA stands for Sports Application (IE racing). The reason they won't allow (and you don't want to use) a M helmet is it isn't fire rated. Yeah, your car isn't gonna catch fire, and you're not gonna crash anyway, so why does it matter? Because you may crash, and your car may catch fire.

3) If you don't want to risk having one that gives you a headache, you should try them on. All helmets (ALL) fit different. I go to OG racing in Sterling for all mine, and Bell and AGV fit me well. But then mine are on for hours at a time, not just 10 seconds. :D

P.S. I have a new Bell M4 (Snell SA2005) under the tree for me. :banana:

Last edited:

BlackSunshine13

"The Princess"
Established Member
We bought my dad a GForce helmet that was SA2005 rated last year and it ran a good deal cheaper than the comparables and I would say its just as nice. Do a google search for SA rated helmets and you can check who makes them and prices.

Users who are viewing this thread