best riding h&r springs?

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
I am planning on lowering my 12 GT, ive had H&R springs in the past and want to go with them again, i know they make 3 different versions for the new mustangs. Which is the best one to go with, race, sport, or super sport? this car isnt a daily driver, but i do want a decent ride.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I had the SS's on mine and loved the ride quality. I would assume the Sports might be a little more forgiving seeing as they don't lower the car as much.

jbur074

Established Member
just put on my SSs last night, however i cut mine a tiny bit. it actually still rides pretty well too..

twistedneck

Established Member
Best riding would be the factory Boss springs since they are fully optimized. that assumes by ride you mean well mannered and efficient, but not low.

To get the best street / race ride we need to consider the rates of each spring and how the H&R springs compare. Like is the front or rear a higher rate? what about ride height front vs rear?

With some checking on the net i found the following (lbs / in)

Stock GT 136 front / 142 rear (245 tires all around)
Brembo pkg 131 Front / 167 Rear (255 tires all around)
Boss 302 148 Front / 186 Rear (255 front 285 std. compound rear)
Boss 302 Laguna Seca 137 Front / 191 Rear (255 front 285 rear tire, corsa compound)

Steeda Sport 200 Front / 175 Rear. Interesting isn't it that the steeda sport linear coils have a higher front rate than the rear? Thats opposite of factory, and they lowered rear ride height more as its now level front to back. Not that factory jacked up look. But, why? were those coils meant for different tire sizes? was it a larger rear tire that made the higher rear end work better? I say this becuase i think that most aftermarket sports springs are similar to the steeda rates - but please if you have that data publish it i can't find much on other rates of mustang sport coils.

For the H&R I cant find their rates, but the ride height looks different for all 3 and follows the steeda, bmr, trend of doping the back more to level the car..

Amount of drop Front, Rear (in):

Sport 1.0, 1.6

Super Sport 1.7, 2.4

Race 1.5, 1.4

All of these except the race aim to make the car level more level than the factory i.e. lower the back more than front. The Race coils actually just lower the car evenly and preserve the jacked up rear stance much like the Boss and Laguna. They also have the same 26mm rear adjustable stabar as Laguna.

I am happy with the Steeda more flat ride, i know there is merit to it and advantages, but the high speed race guys know that you need X amount of turn and and its a trend on the stangs to see even the new GT500 2013 trying to get front steering with a 265 wide front and only a 285 rear, again with that jacked up in back stance.

hmm... good luck, all of these will be good except the super sports - thats more of a show car huge drop.

Last edited:

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I am installing Steeda ultralights tomorrow. Not sure of the rates but they are slightly softer than the sports with a .25 more drop. I drove one and it rode beautiful. Great thread and info.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I want to give a major shout out to the Steeda ultra light springs! Best riding spring I have ever had hands down. Lowered car significantly and has an awesome ride, very much like stock but no more floating up and down at high speeds and way more confidence in the twisties.

racermatt

Established Member
Thanks for the praise. Our Ultra-Lites are arguably our best riding spring. Glad everyone is happy with them.

JUST TRY 03- If you want to get a set of Steeda Springs let me know and I will set you up.

Users who are viewing this thread