Best slicks for my setup

Jmurrz

Established Member
Hey guys, I am looking for some info regarding the best slicks for my 16x7.5 wheels. I am looking for a tire that is going to hold my power well (615RWHP SAE) and be safe for the IRS. I am looking between the Hoosier QTP's and the MT Et Streets. I hear great things about the Hoosiers but they seem to be a little too narrow or too wide for my wheel width. The MT seems good as well, however people seem to say that they have bad sway top end.

I also would like to know if I should be running 26" or 28". I have H&R race springs in the rear with the top ISO out, does anyone know if I will rub?

I am looking at the Hoosier QTP 26 X 9.50-16 or the 28 X 11.50-16. I am also looking at the MT ET Street 26X10.50-16. Unless there is anything else someone thinks would work well for my setup.

Also, has anyone run stock front wheels with any of the tires mentioned? I am trying to locate some front runners but for now I was wondering if that would be okay for a few runs.

Thanks in advance SVTP

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
I run the MT 26x11.5x16 very little sway with tubes& matching front runners.you shouldn't mix radials & bias ply( that's when you get that scary sway) they worked good for me at 600-640 & stock gears. Now I want the 28" but a lowered car you may have to roll the fenders.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
I run 27x11.5x15 Hoosier QTP's on a 15x8 rim. 11.5's may be a little on the wide side with 16x7.5's but 10.5's would work well I would think.

Bigc6428

Established Member
I have Hoosier 28s on 16x10 diamond race wheels 6"bs no rubbing and my fenders aren't rolled. If I were to do it agai I would probably try 26s with the stock 3:55 gears.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Stay away from the QTP. That tire was designed for cars with an automatic. Do you want a slick (like in your title) or do you want a drag radial. My vote would be a 26'' M/T stiff wall slick or a Hoosier drag radial if you wanted to go with a radial.

Jmurrz

Established Member
I'd want a slightly wider wheel, but the 26x10.5 ET Street will fit.

I would want wider as well but my wheels are only 7.75"

Stay away from the QTP. That tire was designed for cars with an automatic. Do you want a slick (like in your title) or do you want a drag radial. My vote would be a 26'' M/T stiff wall slick or a Hoosier drag radial if you wanted to go with a radial.

I had no idea about the QTP. I am looking for a slick, I run DR's on the street but I am looking for a bias ply slick that will give me traction and cushion the shock of launching so I dont blow up my IRS. A 1.2 is a nasty 60' what were you using?

Jmurrz

Established Member
I think I have it narrowed down to the MT ET Street 26x11.5-16 or the Hoosier Full Slick 28x10-16. Anyone have any experience with either of them? I am really only using them for the track so being DOT approved is not a huge deal to me. I am just looking for the best traction with the least stress put on the IRS.

I have also decided I am going to buy front runners so I am not too concerned with sway anymore

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
IMO, M/T ET Streets are junk. I would bite the bullet and grind the tie-rod knuckle on your IRS so you can fit 15's. You get more sidewall with a 15'' tire and have more sizes and brands to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread