'Best' software to start tuning?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I am an inch away from buying 2011 GT with 2.3 TVS supercharger. Not many other engine mods on the car, so I will be wanting to play around and boost the power a tad.

I have a nice laptop with Windows 7 and I want my own tuning software. I had one vehicle about 10 years ago that I installed Accel DFI, so I am familiar with basic EFI tuning (data-logging, setting a/f, timing, etc). I was using the Accel software at that time.

So for this 2011 GT (and other future Mustangs), what would be 'best' software to get me going? Does any of the modern software have some sort of auto-tune mode, where it will adjust as you drive around at varying speeds?

Thanks for any help with this. Dave F.

ricardoa1

Established Member
I just added a licence to my SCT Racers Package to tune the coyote. La Sota will be my source for the base boost tune. And he has a cookbook so yo have a clue on what to mess with. I have the BE aswell but for my supercoupe. They are both powerful tuning tools. I just feel I can get more support with the sct since more tuner shops use it.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I just added a licence to my SCT Racers Package to tune the coyote. La Sota will be my source for the base boost tune. And he has a cookbook so yo have a clue on what to mess with. I have the BE aswell but for my supercoupe. They are both powerful tuning tools. I just feel I can get more support with the sct since more tuner shops use it.

Thanks, I was thinking of the SCT X4. Does that allow you to actually get into the car's ECM and tune the car using your laptop, or is it only for uploading pre-supplied tunes?

You mention a "cookbook", haha. It's always good to have a recipe, no doubt. Have you found any actual training that's been helpful?

Thanks again

ricardoa1

Established Member
Go to Lasotaracing.com it will explain. The X4 is the decice that will allow you to datalog, upload a tune and comunicate between the laptop and the car. To tune yourself you need the sct racers package, and start from scratch with your stock calibration or buy an editable tune that has most of the changes compatible with your mods.

cj428mach

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and avoid SCT if you can, BE will be so much better.

SCT has the Xcal's that like to turn into bricks and have to be sent in or spend hours on the phone to get through to tech service.

SCT requires you to update your laptop after every 150 flashes. Thats no big deal most of the time, but what happens if SCT goes bankrupt, your software is now junk.

The software is also pretty glitchy in my opinion.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I have been using SCT for years. All have issues from time to time.

If SCT goes out of business, there will be others to take over.

Either is going to take lots of training and knowledge to navigate.

Edit: I haven't had an XCal "Brick" in a few years. Seems they have gotten a handle on it.

txcharlie

Never fast enough
Established Member
I am SCT certified on the Copperhead PCM, but I tune using HPTuners. Although they are fairly new to the Ford side of tuning, most that have used both SCT and HPT, prefer HPT, due to their continuous development of the software. Also, HPTuners uses a tab based interface that is much easier to navigate, IMHO.

cj428mach

Established Member
How does BE handle licensing? This is one area where HPTuners needs improvement.

They have tokens that you buy, the tokens are $96 for one and if you buy more than one the price per token goes down. You can buy extra tokens and use them whenever you have a need to tune. Once you tune a car you can retune it as many times as you like.

You can either use BE with a QH on pre 2005 cars or with a Mongoose cable that allows direct flashing of the ECM just like SCT. If you're able to use a QH then BE absolutely kills SCT because it allows tuning on the fly while the car is running. After you get your tune dialed in you flash the ECM with the Mongoose cable.

The Datalogging is also leaps and bounds better with BE and works first time unlike SCT that can take a half a dozen times to get it to initialize and work correctly in livelink.

txcharlie

Never fast enough
Established Member
I stopped using SCT a while back, in favor of HPTuners. Licensing for BE looks very similar to HPT.
I wish HPTuners offered on the fly tuning for the copperhead platform. The HPT scanner(datalogger) is awesome.

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
HP Tuners of course.

Do you guys offer any support or training? I did some tuning years ago on an Accel DFI system, but that was the extent of my tuning. I got very comfortable changing timing and fuel tables, but I was ignorant on a lot of stuff on that program. The Accel folks were very helpful, I will give them that.

Anyway, is training or support available from HP Tuners?

Thanks very much

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Do you guys offer any support or training? I did some tuning years ago on an Accel DFI system, but that was the extent of my tuning. I got very comfortable changing timing and fuel tables, but I was ignorant on a lot of stuff on that program. The Accel folks were very helpful, I will give them that.

Anyway, is training or support available from HP Tuners?

Thanks very much

We do not, but companies like The Tuning School, Lasota, and Calibrated Success have classes and books for purchase that will get you started. Our forum (http://www.hptuners.com/forum) is also a good resource.

Users who are viewing this thread