Best Springs for the Buck.

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
I just bought this car. And I already want to lower it. I can get Eibach's and Hotchkis springs for my car for pretty cheap. But are these really the best springs for our cars? I heard H&R's and Tein's were good. But I'd have to pay full price on these.

What do you guys recommend doing? What set ups do you run?

The car: 2002 SVT Focus 3-door.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
eibach lowering springs are fine, but will make it ride alot harsher, with minimal improvement over the stock suspension, but it will make it look alot better.

The SVT Focus already has a great suspension setup, and the only real performance improvement would be coilovers....it is a night and day difference.

I went from eibach springs (prosystem plus...struts, shocks, springs and sway bars) to coilovers.....will never go with just springs again...HUGE difference.

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
Thanks Venom. That's why I wondered. I'm afraid any other spring would just be for looks. Since this car handles nicely already. I am prepared for road harshness. That just comes with lowering any car. I'd love to do coil-overs, but I just don't have that kind of dough laying around. :/

For Eibachs would you recommend the Sport Kit or the Pro Kit. I know Sport is a lot lower. And when I sell it, I tell customers that it loses it's comfort for daily driving. I don't mind the sportier feel. But I hate having scrapping and body issues.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
well, the prokit drops it about 1.2-1.5, and the sportlines drop 1.6-2.0

HOWEVER, keep in mind that the SVT sits .5-.75 inches lower than the stock ZX3 (which the drop numbers are based off of) so it wont look very much lower on the prokit, but it will ride alot nicer than the sportlines.

here is one of my older Foci, with the eibach prosystem plus (springs, shocks, struts and swaybars) so you get the idea of what the prokit offers (with 215/45-17 tires, stock SVT size):

Misc230.jpg

Misc238.jpg

Focus1.jpg

the sportlines will be another half inch or so, and ride ALOT stiffer.

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
well, the prokit drops it about 1.2-1.5, and the sportlines drop 1.6-2.0

HOWEVER, keep in mind that the SVT sits .5-.75 inches lower than the stock ZX3 (which the drop numbers are based off of) so it wont look very much lower on the prokit, but it will ride alot nicer than the sportlines.

here is one of my older Foci, with the eibach prosystem plus (springs, shocks, struts and swaybars) so you get the idea of what the prokit offers (with 215/45-17 tires, stock SVT size):

Misc230.jpg

Misc238.jpg

Focus1.jpg

the sportlines will be another half inch or so, and ride ALOT stiffer.

Thanks dude. Very very helpful. I still want it lower than that. My roommate recommends Tein S-Techs. Not sure how those are. Maybe Sportlines are something I may look into.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I was going to mention Tein Suspension as an alternative option....

TEIN GLOBAL SITE

Or do what I did- left the stock suspension alone & went w/ 225/45R17 Yokohama's.... the tires filled up the wheel arches nicely & definitely looks more "beefy"....

Last edited:

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
Thanks dude. Very very helpful. I still want it lower than that. My roommate recommends Tein S-Techs. Not sure how those are. Maybe Sportlines are something I may look into.

if you want lower, on just springs, you are going to severly degrade the ride quality.

from now on, i will only go with coilovers on any car I lower...yes, it costs 3-5times more, but it is SOOOO much nicer going from the eibach springs (just the pro kit, mind you) to coilovers...night and day difference.

if you can, just live with the stock setup for now, and save up for the coilovers, you will thank yourself for it.

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
Ride quality isn't a huge concern of mine. I actually like cars that have that sportier feel to it. My concern is. Will it kill the way the car handles and performs?

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
Ride quality isn't a huge concern of mine. I actually like cars that have that sportier feel to it. My concern is. Will it kill the way the car handles and performs?

nope.

if you dont care about ride quality, then by all means slam it on springs.

Tien is decent...not up there with Eibach or H&R springs...but they are right in the middle of the line quality wise.

Quick note, you will accelerate teh wear on your stock struts and shocks with any lowering springs. When i had my eibachs, i had the entire kit, shocks, struts, springs, and sway bars, and the dampers were designed to be used with lowering springs, were'as teh stock ones were not.

Users who are viewing this thread