Best TAX Software for the money? TurboTax? Quicken? Other?

blue88mustang

Established Member
What is the best TAX RETURN software for the money? I want to be able to itemize every possible thing that I can, because a return would be much nicer than paying in.

I have been told that your vehicle mileage TO and FROM work is deductable along with a few other things that I wouldn't have expected, so I am hoping to find an inexpensive Tax Software program that will net some good results.

Coiled03

Established Member
Turbo Tax > All

My GFs mom is a tax auditor, and that's the program she uses to do her own taxes. I've used it the last several years; it's easy, and accurate.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
blue88mustang said:
What is the best TAX RETURN software for the money? I want to be able to itemize every possible thing that I can, because a return would be much nicer than paying in.

I have been told that your vehicle mileage TO and FROM work is deductable along with a few other things that I wouldn't have expected, so I am hoping to find an inexpensive Tax Software program that will net some good results.

If you’re doing a lot of itemizing and wanting all the deductions available!! Get Turbo Tax Deluxe……Have used it for the last 10 years…The best!!

blue88mustang

Established Member
Is TurboTax very "user friendly" when it comes to the avg tax payer? I really hate trying to figure out EXACTLY what they are asking for in some places on the 1040 form.

I have a bad feeling that I will be paying in this year. Made too much money, plus I received money that didn't get taxed (vendor spiff).

Last edited:

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
I've used TurboTax every year since 1998 except for last year. Last year I discovered that turbotax did not calculate a detail correctly in my state return. I did some digging and compared what I found to what I had on record. It appeared to be a calculation error within the software. I figured that may be unlikely so not to rule out confusion or stupidity on my part I dug further. I still had it loaded on my machine so I went back through and found that it was indeed the software. I read through all the help stuff too and I did everything I was supposed to do. The error caused me to underpay my state taxes by $800. I discovered this when a bill arrived in January which required payment within 30 days. Unexpected bills for $800 piss me off! I was annoyed but I paid it right away and moved on.

At that point I contacted turbotax many times with absolutely no response from them whatsoever. Not a "we're so sorry", a "Piss off and die", not even a computer generated generic response. Nothing. I wasn't really pissed about the money, I owed that anyway so no big deal. I didn't like finding out about it like I did though. And I sure as hell didn't like bitching into a vacuum to those at fault. I figured the least they could do was field my complaint but they didn't even do that. I always used the software installed from a CD too. I never tried the online version.

Screw up + Very poor customer service = Lost customer

I switched to TaxAct last year and found it just as easy to use as turbotax. It also offered help goodies like turbotax. It is also a lot cheaper, $15.95 for the deluxe package to file both your federal and a state return. Turbotax is $19.95 just for the federal return. You have to pay extra for the state return. You can actually do your taxes completely free. You can use TaxAct to doublecheck that something like turbotax is calculating everything correctly. Granted, you have to do your taxes twice but the second time should be a copy and paste snap from the other software. Besides it is free. You don't pay until you file. So far so good! I'll be using it again this year. The other nice thing is that TaxAct retains your previous year's information to import into the next year.

It can't hurt to check it out.

TaxAct

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
blue88mustang said:

Turbo Tax. I have used it since 1998.

You cant write off expenses to get to and from your primary work location. But if during the day you traveled to another job location that mileage would be deductible.

Users who are viewing this thread