Best Times for Unchipped Ls

BostonL

Established Member
I've been putting off chipping my L for fear of warranty cancellation so I've been running it with only afew mods (modulator valve, K&N panel, oval blade TB, 2" lowering). Though I'm envoius of the 12 second trucks, I'm pretty satisfied with my best time: RT:.528 60':1.930 1/4:13.358 MPH:101.21 race weight:4612lb (spare tire, hitch, jack, bed mat and front sway bar removed,~1/4 tank of Ultra). Was hoping to better that, but had to put the stock stuff back on for I/C replacement and noisy blower pulley, so looks like I'm done for the year. Anyone in the 12's yet without a chip?

JBLsilver01

Established Member
A 13.3 sounds really good for your mods.

I've never heard of any 12's w/o a chip, actually I havent heard of that many L's on here without a chip to begin with lol. Maybe with both blower pullies it could happen? I heard Jim was running around 16#'s of boost using both pullies, but then again his engine blew up?

What kind of 2" drop did you get?

BostonL

Established Member
Dan,
Wish I could take more credit for that time but NE Dragway is at sea level and race day temp was ~60* with low humidity , and well prep'd track. I spent the last few weeks working on my 60' times, I think thats where the big gain is for me.
JBL,
I use Eibach springs up front and Chassis Tech shakles in back. Actual drop is 1.25" front/ 1.5" rear.

JBLsilver01

Established Member
Where'd you get your springs & shackles and for how much$?

Did lowering the front end require a camber kit?

I've been looking at getting the Belltech front springs and rear shacles - do shackles reduce traction? I've heard a few times that the drop leaf springs as in the Hotchkis kit can actually reduce traction

Thanks,
Jacob

Last edited:

BostonL

Established Member
Jacob,
Bought the springs and shackles from another L owner off the F150 Online ad section, but would search ads from recent truck mags for shops selling suspension stuff. Camber bolts are needed for any alignment work on a lowered truck. Can't say how the lowering affected traction, never ran it on the strip before lowering. Some people think that lowering hurts traction, some people think lowering rear only helps traction. When I saw JDM's 01 at FFW in NH this summer, I believe he was running shackles in back with his awesome lift bars and no front sway bar. His truck hooked up really nice.

whip

Established Member
Hey BostonL....
I haven't been on the boards in a while, whats this a bout a noisy blower pulley? Is it a common problem, and what did it sound like? I have had a funny rattle under modest acceleration at highway speeds for a couple months now. I think its the a/c clutch or pulley but don't want to give an excuse to a pin head at the dealer to get on the highway and do some "modest acceleration" in my truck! Where do you take your L for service? Waltham Ford porked me hard on service.

BostonL

Established Member
Hey Whip,
Nice to hear from you. Didn't think you'd be in port so soon. Had my service done at Rodman Ford in Foxborough. Was satisfied with service dept, met one of their SVT techs (seems to know his stuff, owns a mod'ed 99 Cobra) they did the I/C exchange in one morning, only found one loose nut (hold down bracket for fuel rail that fastens to rear blower mount stud) afterwards! They also checked for codes (my request), gave me a loaner to get back and forth to work, and washed the truck afterwards. The noise I heard was a low pitched growl, very faint, heard at idle. They said they could not hear it cold or hot. I just wanted to log the problem on in case it gets worse. I can only hear it when I'm under hood, its very faint. When are you headed home? Whats up with your L?

whip

Established Member
Well, I'm only on this ship "temporarily". I will be back in MA next week to upgrade my license. Assuming I pass my test, I will be back on the same ship the week after which would rock because we are'nt going anywhere for a long while which would mean the L is coming to Norfolk for a while. I plan on calling 128 Ford monday, if they can't sneak me in, I may try Rodman Ford. I have no problems with the mechanics at Waltham and I hate to sevre ties with them, but when the service manager says she's looking out the window at the guy reinstalling my blower, when it actually never got pulled into the shop, thats enough crap to make me not go back!
ps Is NE dragway still open in early November??

QUIKSVT

Established Member
Unchipped L

I ran my new 01 L last night. Best runs ever without chip.
60 ft. 1.85
1/4 [email protected]
mods include- K&N panel filter, electric fan, JL 3lb pulley, and BFG drag radials. This was in 72 degree air with about 60% humidity. Also the L has only 500 miles on it, so it is not broken in yet.
Josh

Users who are viewing this thread