Best tires for the street. 2011 SVT wheels GT500

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
What is the best combo for traction and handling? I know that is a loaded question. I'm just curious to see what you guys have had success with. 720 RWHP is what I will be trying to stick. Thanks.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I have Mickey Thompson et2's and they hook power very well. Tho have minor roll in the twisties and don't like rain. I know a lot of people like toyo r888's for a good all around street tire

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Might want to give the NTO5R a look. The NT555 G2 looks more like a UHPS tire, and less like a drag radial, but might have better than average grip.

MTs drag radials seem to have excellent grip, but sidewall is not really intended for twistie driving.

I really like the BFG Comp2 all seasons i have on my car right now but ive probably got about 200 less hp at the wheels. Great handling and aside from first gear seems to hook nicely.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I went through that very question when I bought new Shelby Venice rims. I concluded there were two superior tires( 305/35/20 and 285/35/20):
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2
Michelin Pilot Sport Sport

The Michelin is a better all around tire for 20k life. The Goodyear is excellent in dry weather above 65 degrees as a 20k life tire. I was able to secure the the Goodyears at half the cost of the Michelins for around $1180.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ill have to respectfully disagree with the Goodyears. The only time in two years i had traction with the Goodyears was in Phoenix in July. 120 degrees and likely 160 degree street temp. Excellent is not a descriptive word id associate with the Goodyears. Only application Id use the goodyears for are MAYBE road track days that made sure the tires were hot prior to the freen flag. Burnout contests are where they shine.

Id rec the Michelins 1000000000xs over the Goodyears.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Not sure which size wheels you have, we get 2 good months of heavy rain here. I'm around the same rwhp as you and my two favorite tires are these. In a 19 kumho ecsta xs, more of an auto cross tire but just ridiculously good even in heavy rain, also hooks from a 40 roll at 28psi very well. If I'm doing any consistent runs then i use 555r’s which have better dry grip but sacrifice a little wet traction. Will need to slow down to 60-65 in heavy rain though. Now, the nt05r is the mother of dry traction but you will be white knuckling the steering wheel in heavy rain which i don't want. Have heard great things about the r888 as well but most sizes come in a very thin side wall which I'm not a fan of. In winter i use dws which is the best value in a all season imo, not doing any racing below 40s though so can't comment on how they would do there.

ponyboy96

Established Member
The goodyears do well on a road course. When they heat up they get very sticky. Drag racing they suck as everyone has said. I don't think there's any really good option other than drag radials for 720rwhp. Maybe the michelins?

Kenneth

Established Member
I run the Nitto 555r's on the rears daily driving year round. Just put some 555G2's on the front

Last edited:

TexasSpeed

Established Member
I run the 315-35-20 NTO5R drag radial on my 2011 PP wheels. In my opinion, they are the best dr's I've run. I'm about 740 to the ground and they hook really well.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Ill have to respectfully disagree with the Goodyears. The only time in two years i had traction with the Goodyears was in Phoenix in July. 120 degrees and likely 160 degree street temp. Excellent is not a descriptive word id associate with the Goodyears. Only application Id use the goodyears for are MAYBE road track days that made sure the tires were hot prior to the freen flag. Burnout contests are where they shine.

Id rec the Michelins 1000000000xs over the Goodyears.

The Gen 1 Goodyears stink. The Gen 2 have been excellent tires in hot and dry weather on the track and spirited driving on roads. I absolutely agree with you on the Michelin, but they also cost twice as much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

802gt500

Established Member
I had the 555r for 6k. Great tire. Tried the nto5r 200 miles and i want to sell. Not as good as the 555r for me. 740 rwhp 2nd would hook 9 out of 10 times, nto5r hook 2 out of 10 in 2nd. This is all street driving. This is no burnout or warm up, maybe the nto5r need some heat. Tried the 555r at the track and that is not good. Did not try the nto5r at the track but its supposed to be much better.

My vote is 555r.
315-40-18 nto5r 200 miles if your interested.

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
Decided on Michelin Super Sports on the front and 305 555r's on the rear. Thanks for the input!

vipboy28

Established Member
What is the best combo for traction and handling? I know that is a loaded question. I'm just curious to see what you guys have had success with. 720 RWHP is what I will be trying to stick. Thanks.

I have Nitto Invo's. They are pretty decent, handle well in the rain. But in the cold (30 degrees) struggle a little bit. If you dont drive like a mad man during the cold weather they will last you.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I cannot say enough BAD things about the Invos. They are as bad as the Spinyears. I would rate them as a touring tire, and in no way are they to be considered "high performance", or "grippy". Under 50F they really lose grip too. The only good thing about them is that they are super quiet. Oh yeah and they flat spot super easily, if the car sits for more than a week.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
3rd vote for 555r. It is a great all around tire. Hooks pretty good from a dead. Actually has the ability to be used as a DD and twisty tire, obviously not the best, but it's not dangerous in the ran like an 05r or MT.

vipboy28

Established Member
I cannot say enough BAD things about the Invos. They are as bad as the Spinyears. I would rate them as a touring tire, and in no way are they to be considered "high performance", or "grippy". Under 50F they really lose grip too. The only good thing about them is that they are super quiet. Oh yeah and they flat spot super easily, if the car sits for more than a week.

Thats interesting. Ive had mine for about 2 years and when it hits 32 degrees is when i have traction problems. WOT in normal degrees 50+ is no issue at all. Honestly, for the price they are pretty decent. But thats my opinion.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Thats interesting. Ive had mine for about 2 years and when it hits 32 degrees is when i have traction problems. WOT in normal degrees 50+ is no issue at all. Honestly, for the price they are pretty decent. But thats my opinion.

I am running them on 20" rims. Maybe that's the problem/difference?

forsho

Established Member
Toyo R888 in the summer on the SVTPP Wheels, in colder weather before it goes up, I'm running the BFG A/S 3's and they are AMAZING!

Users who are viewing this thread