Best to bring back shine?

DomesticAbuse

Established Member
What would be the best stuff to use to bring back a 10 year old shine to black paint? Something you can buy in a store that i don't need to order over the internet. Just looking to bring back alittle shine to an older paint job.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
If working with clear coat...

Go find:

Mother's or Meg's Clay Bar kit
2G1016_SmoothSurfaceClay_small1.jpg

Meg's Scratch X
G10307_ScratchX_small.jpg

Meg's Deep Crystal polishing system (Step 1 is a light polish; 2 is a glaze; 3 is the wax of your choice)
A3016.jpg

Wash, Clay, Scratch X, DC System

Thats about the best you can do by hand without ordering anything online. Scratch X will take a while to do; but really is about the best you can do by hand. Don't bother with the DC 2, its a hand glaze. It will add depth and fill scratches with some loss of durability.

If you can find it, Meg's #26 wax is better than the rest of their OTC line.

Last edited:

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i bought mequiars deep crystal line the other day and labeled on the bottle it says stage 1: Paint cleaner, Stage 2: polish, Stage 3: Carnuba wax.... just fyi and hell maybe they have different routes or something but that is what i am in the process of using and due to being a DD it has to wait to get the final two stages but even just the paint cleaner made a HUGE difference

wash & clay bar only
washedupclose.jpg

then after the stage 1 paint cleaner
stg1.gif

one zoomed out of only the stage 1 applied... still got the polish and wax left :)
stage1.gif

and i do agree though on the scratch x and clay bar completely!

Last edited:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
If you have bad oxidation or just lack of care I would start with Meguiar's #4 Heavy cut cleaner. Follow that up with Meguiar's #82 Swirl free polish. Any glaze can follow the polish and then top with a sealant or wax.

DomesticAbuse

Established Member
zaxjax said:
If you have bad oxidation or just lack of care I would start with Meguiar's #4 Heavy cut cleaner. Follow that up with Meguiar's #82 Swirl free polish. Any glaze can follow the polish and then top with a sealant or wax.

Ya it's has some good oxidation going on there , it's just an explorer it's nothing special just want to bring a little shine back without going to crazy, i will look into the products listed here Meguiar's is the way to go though :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread