Best Truck/SUV Daily for $5K?

Rocket254

Established Member
Looking to promote the Stang to weekend status and pick up a small truck or suv to drive around town in. I need a vehicle with some utility and have a <10 mile commute to work each day so gas is a non-factor. Ideally, I'd stay under $5K and under 150K miles. Can anyone give me some ideas and opinions on reliability?

At first glance, I see a lot of Rangers, Dakotas and Jeep Cherokees at the price/mileage point but I can't make up my find as to whether I want a truck bed or the seating capacity and covered cargo area of an SUV. (No kids, don't really need to haul stuff that often ):shrug:

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
4.0 Cherokee is one of the easiest vehicles to work on that's currently on the road, plus parts are cheap and plentiful. You just have to not care about the body, because they tend to get rough, but for 5k you obviously have to make some compromises.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
XJ Cherokee is awesome.

/thread

I bought my '98 in 2009 with 92k miles for 5 grand. Body/interior/drivetrain was perfect and it was already lifted on 32's. I was DD'ing around 60 miles a day, so 10 is nothing.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
A 5.0 Explorer is pretty hard to beat too. Reliable drivetrain and when it needs something parts are cheap. Can be easily had in that price range.

Gravik

Established Member
+1 for XJ Cherokee. Mine has 204k and climbing.

Ranger is also a good option.

Rocket254

Established Member
I'm with this guy!

I had a truck all through HS and college and gave it up for the mustang. I've been in an apartment for a while now and haven't ran across a situation where I couldn't borrow my friend's truck for a dozen chicken wings. Now that I'm a year out from home ownership, I'm starting to think I'll be needing one again.

nxhappy

Established Member
The few in my area that meet price and mileage for me are either too good to be true deals or clapped the hell out.

could you check out a local auction? They sell the F150 all the time, as well as Ram's. Usually they are state trucks that have been well maintained.

Franco

Established Member
I have a 04 wj as my daily. Last year of the almighty 4.0 looks and drives great at 135k. No rust issues whatsoever, however I take meticulous care of it.

Last edited:

nate

Established Member
99 xj here. 130k miles. My brother has one as a beater, 220k miles, no problems with either. 4.0 will go forever. Just be prepared for rear main leaks.

Gravik

Established Member
Around what mileage does that start happening if at all?

It varies. Mine leaks and I have 204k miles. Doesn't leak enough to bother fixing it. Has leaked for the entire time I have had it (~20k miles).

Friend of mine has a '97 with 120k and it leaks. Same deal.

Also valve cover gasket is another known culprit. Replace with a felpro and you'll be set.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Around what mileage does that start happening if at all?

My XJ had the same damn leak, sold it with 190k miles. Like Nate, it just wasn't big enough to warrant tearing apart. The biggest downside to an XJ is they are terrible at highway speed, maintaining 70 was a chore.

Users who are viewing this thread