best tuner for 2012 5.0

Laloosh

Established Member
Those particular people, are not getting around SCT's limitations in order to deliver power. They are using pass through devices and hex editing the tables SCT does not make available due to incapabilities of reading the complete ECU profile. This in return, returns a more complete calibration file to the end user.

You and I have discussed this before.

IMO, this is the best post in this thread. Let's be real, all these guys can tune. The one with the most information and access of the ecu however, will be the one with the advantage. However, I feel like Mike has a point. When you start getting flown out around the country to tune big hp, sponsored, money cars. I feel like the care/desire to tune the basic cars gets put off to the side especially when you are dealing with people that probably have no clue what they are doing or how to even log and try to understand what is going on. With that said, I tried two so far, BAMA and LUND.

IMO BAMA's customer service is extremely slow and your experience vastly depends on who you talk to cause there have been times where I hung up the phone scratching my head wondering if the person on the other line even knew understood what we just talked about. Currently I am waiting on a revision from them as the car was not running as good as it can.

LUND, whoever this KenB guy is, his response time, even during off hours is unmatched. He changes what is asked and answers questions. Tune runs good, but could still use some touch up work. I'm not here to bash one or the other so take it for what it's worth.

IMO the big limitation here is what the end user could see about thier car. The sct device is sketchy at best imo. Some values log, some don't, some are mislabled and represent something else ect ect. At this point I am pretty much in Lunds/Ken's faith as the logs I do don't show much.
We need the ability to log each cylinder correctly to see how the ecu reacts, that imo is the next step. Now do the guys not using the SCT have the ability to do this? I sure as hell hope so. But I would like to be able to see it for myself. The price for these things is fair, pick a big name and go through the process untill you are satisfied or go onto the next one.

Seer

Banned
IMO, this is the best post in this thread. Let's be real, all these guys can tune. The one with the most information and access of the ecu however, will be the one with the advantage. However, I feel like Mike has a point. When you start getting flown out around the country to tune big hp, sponsored, money cars. I feel like the care/desire to tune the basic cars gets put off to the side especially when you are dealing with people that probably have no clue what they are doing or how to even log and try to understand what is going on. With that said, I tried two so far, BAMA and LUND.

IMO BAMA's customer service is extremely slow and your experience vastly depends on who you talk to cause there have been times where I hung up the phone scratching my head wondering if the person on the other line even knew understood what we just talked about. Currently I am waiting on a revision from them as the car was not running as good as it can.

LUND, whoever this KenB guy is, his response time, even during off hours is unmatched. He changes what is asked and answers questions. Tune runs good, but could still use some touch up work. I'm not here to bash one or the other so take it for what it's worth.

IMO the big limitation here is what the end user could see about thier car. The sct device is sketchy at best imo. Some values log, some don't, some are mislabled and represent something else ect ect. At this point I am pretty much in Lunds/Ken's faith as the logs I do don't show much.
We need the ability to log each cylinder correctly to see how the ecu reacts, that imo is the next step. Now do the guys not using the SCT have the ability to do this? I sure as hell hope so. But I would like to be able to see it for myself. The price for these things is fair, pick a big name and go through the process untill you are satisfied or go onto the next one.
You can see all parameters with a pass thru. Knowing what they are is another story as they are labeled quite vaguely.

Seer

Banned
It is all in the 60 foot, Seer. You went 1.5 and I went 1.7. If I had the 1.5 you can shave .4 from my time, making it an 11.5. Shaun cuts 1.5s and his times are in the bottom basement of the 11's. So, if this comes down to Lund vs. AED I am ponying up Shaun's car as the representative example of the 11 second AED machine. He has had both 3.73s and a 3.55s with the 28. Eventually I am going to have to surrender and up the gear. I am just being lazy and I am also interested in seeing just what I can do with these 3.31s. I really want that 11.5 slip on 3.31 gears. Maybe this Sunday.

Anyway, good times, man. I am impressed with those all around. Good showing for Lund as well.

Mike

We'll never know, my wife is the one driving her new 2012 5.0 GT now, and is looking to best my 11.6 NA time. Most likely she will once she gets it down.

I've moved on to a 2012 GT500, and it's currently going to be geared with 4.10s and 28's to start with.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I was gonna stay out of this but now,

There are several great tuners out there. Find the one that you like and go. To limit yourself to talking to just one would be doing yourself a disservice.
I'm not bashing or supporting any of them here or elsewhere but weigh your options.

I would say more but that is all I will say. (And no that is NOT a shot at anyone here abilities)

As far as this,
Those rules that apply to me and all the other users here, dont apply to you. I guess in order to get that treatment, I need to write svtp a check.

You could not be more wrong and it is this type of crap that got you in trouble in the first place.
You were on my good side, slowly slipping back to the other side.

SicShelby09

Banned
I was gonna stay out of this but now,

There are several great tuners out there. Find the one that you like and go. To limit yourself to talking to just one would be doing yourself a disservice.
I'm not bashing or supporting any of them here or elsewhere but weigh your options.

I would say more but that is all I will say. (And no that is NOT a shot at anyone here abilities)

As far as this,

You could not be more wrong and it is this type of crap that got you in trouble in the first place.
You were on my good side, slowly slipping back to the other side.

Ok man well answer me a few questions then.

1. She has taken as many back handed shots at me in the past as I have to her. Why was she never infracted or banned?
2. Why can't I put her on my ignore list?? It says shes a mod/admin. but she could ignore me if she wanted to???

So what is the difference here??

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Ok man well answer me a few questions then.

1. She has taken as many back handed shots at me in the past as I have to her. Why was she never infracted or banned?
2. Why can't I put her on my ignore list?? It says shes a mod/admin. but she could ignore me if she wanted to???

So what is the difference here??

I will not debate this, I will answer this 1 time and if you bring it up again or question the site, staff or our actions you will never return.

She posted in this thread with post that were no where near out of line. You chimed in with a smart remark about her to Mike about trying to get him to bash her.
I promise that YOU and maybe 1 or 2 others thought that.

A more direct answer to your question,

1. You have no clue what is discussed, done, or said behind the scenes or even in front of you for that matter. You can see NO ONES infractions but you own so you don't know what she has.

2. Because that is how the system works. I don't make the software nor decide that.
And it should not matter that you can't put Mods/Admins/vendors on ignore.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
OP - every one of the tuners here can write you a kick-ass tune. You will just have to pick the one that "you" feel suits your needs and situation best.

There is much AED bias in this forum. Seer's point is dead on - without having tried them all - how can one possibly say "Tuner X" is the best?

About the only member in this entire thread that can give you an unbiased answer is Red Candy 5.0. I believe he has sampled just about every 5.0 tuner out there. Lol!

AED has caught on like wild fire here and that is a good thing. Shaun appears to have a firm grasp on tuning the Copperhead; and one always likes to do business with a shop that has happy customers. Having said that, you also have to keep in mind that every tuner out there is going to have someone that doesn't like them for one reason or another. It is just the nature of the beast.

Best of luck to you, as you really can't go wrong with any of the recommendations in this thread :)

SicShelby09

Banned
Thanks for your reply. But I'm going to bring this up with Sid. I completely disagree with you, and you won't chill for 1 second to
Just talk this out with me. Your iron fist wannabe LL rule is incorrect and needs to be adjusted.

5lho

Established Member
*meekly puts up hand* "Umm, I've had great results so far with my Procal."

Cheap($279)...112+ mph traps so far...lots of torque for grunting around...feels really good....3/36 warranty.

FWIW....

scotmach

Established Member
Thanks for your reply. But I'm going to bring this up with Sid. I completely disagree with you, and you won't chill for 1 second to
Just talk this out with me. Your iron fist wannabe LL rule is incorrect and needs to be adjusted.

You just love poking the sleeping bear huh?:-D

There is no "best" tuner unless you've tried them all. I'm completely happy with my VMP tune. Does that mean a Lund, AED, or Amazon tune would be better? I'll never know as I don't feel the need to try them all. Honestly there are several good tuners in the community if you ask me.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
I've been happy with my Amazon tune.

It is the only one I've tried so I don't have any direct comparison data but it has performed as expected and had zero issues.

If you have a basic bolt on 5.0 I'd say that one of the most important considerations is probably customer service.

With all the AED talk, I'm thinking I might need to get one and do a comparison though, see if there really is a measurable difference!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator

Take it up with him, fine with me but,

Won't chill for 1 minute?

The comments you made about her was enough for a temp ban, the comments about the site/staff were enough for another temp or even permanate ban yet you are still here. You push push push and when it doesn't go your way you cry.

How about go read the rules because obviously you either didn't or forgot them.

You want me to talk it out with you yet you break the rules even in that.
Read rule 10.
It should have never been brough up in a thread if you disagree with our actions.

LL wannabe? Now that's funny as 99% of this site knows my style. The other 1% who think like you are the ones who constantly push the edge.

Now this thread has gone the direction of all the others thanks to some.

SicShelby09

Banned
I've been happy with my Amazon tune.

It is the only one I've tried so I don't have any direct comparison data but it has performed as expected and had zero issues.

If you have a basic bolt on 5.0 I'd say that one of the most important considerations is probably customer service.

With all the AED talk, I'm thinking I might need to get one and do a comparison though, see if there really is a measurable difference!

Keep in mind that if you do that, then you void/forfeit your free updates from amazon according to Linn.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ng-opinions-give-me-yours-3.html#post11501858

Post #53

Last edited:

RI_2011_GT

Established Member
Do people normally wait a month or longer for an email tune? I'm not going to mention the vendor, but just wanted to check. I haven't started my roush TVS install because I don't have a tune.

DIB5.0

Established Member
That is way to long. Most can give you a tune in 24hrs but some say to give them a few days. I have had tuners give me a tune the same day.

DIB5.0

Established Member
OP - every one of the tuners here can write you a kick-ass tune. You will just have to pick the one that "you" feel suits your needs and situation best.

There is much AED bias in this forum. Seer's point is dead on - without having tried them all - how can one possibly say "Tuner X" is the best?

About the only member in this entire thread that can give you an unbiased answer is Red Candy 5.0. I believe he has sampled just about every 5.0 tuner out there. Lol!

AED has caught on like wild fire here and that is a good thing. Shaun appears to have a firm grasp on tuning the Copperhead; and one always likes to do business with a shop that has happy customers. Having said that, you also have to keep in mind that every tuner out there is going to have someone that doesn't like them for one reason or another. It is just the nature of the beast.

Best of luck to you, as you really can't go wrong with any of the recommendations in this thread :)

You are right what a waste of money. All the tunes are about the same power wise. The only difference is were they deliver the power, throttle response and shifting pattern with the auto. The biggest difference i have noticed is the tranny set up. VMP being the best i have tried with Amazon second because they own auto cars. The rest were just so-so. AED has a great powerful smooth tune but needs more auto cars to tune to get it spot on. The most aggressive tune i have tried was Lunds.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
You are right what a waste of money. All the tunes are about the same power wise. The only difference is were they deliver the power, throttle response and shifting pattern with the auto. The biggest difference i have noticed is the tranny set up. VMP being the best i have tried with Amazon second because they own auto cars. The rest were just so-so. AED has a great powerful smooth tune but needs more auto cars to tune to get it spot on. The most aggressive tune i have tried was Lunds.

It does help having an auto that gets driven every day that can be used for testing...ya know with LOTS of miles on it.

Chris

jdcobra

Established Member
Yea i agree with you guys on here about trying them all out. HOWEVER, if i had the money to throw away at several different tuners I would. But unfortunately I am a 21 year old student who works at auto zone lol. I did my researching around on other forums but decided to post a thread on who people on here thought gave the most bang for your buck. I would go to certain tuners based up on what vehicle I had. For instance, for my 04 termi, I would go with rick from amazon since I read on almost every forum that he can tune the hell out of those. For the coyote, I read that Shaun pretty much has the end all be all tunes for the copperhead. I also feel a bit safer knowing I have to data log the info and send it to him since I just got the car and don't want anything to go wrong. Especially since I live in Texas and the weather changes about every other week and I would like my car to run consistently all year around. Everyone is going to have their own opinion for sure on who they think is the best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread