Best Tuner for the BOSS 302?

rosem32

Established Member
I am trying to decide who provides the best tune for the BOSS 302. Do other BOSS owners have any input that can help me make a decision?

Thanks!

My Mods are in my signature and I will be going to a procharger soon but wanted to see how it does with a tune right now prior to boost.

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
After reading tons of recommendations etc, I chose Shaun at AED, wish I had gone with them a long time ago.

CALIF BOSS302

Established Member
After reading tons of recommendations etc, I chose Shaun at AED, wish I had gone with them a long time ago.

Can't speak the others, Shaun at AED is the man!

Shaun is the name that comes up on everyone of these topics in multiple forums. I bought my Boss with a AED tune loaded in the tuner and Shaun was very helpful in looking up the tune and walking me through several options.

BUSHDIVING82

Established Member
You'll get a handful of opinions on this topic, and more than likely it will fuel a 10 page debate. My personal experience has been with both Bama Performance and AED. Shaun is the man in regards to knowledge and customer service. My boss was a whole new beast once I loaded his tune...

rosem32

Established Member
I have been communicating with him today...he knows his stuff and has me pretty excited to purchase his base performance, drag, and lopey (for shows) tunes. Then fine tuning my car after some data logging.

In terms of data logging, who has done the data logging process to improve on his base tunes? How much improvement came from the fine tuning?

Thanks

BUSHDIVING82

Established Member
I've done several data logs with Shaun, and in my opinion (and his for that matter) it's essential for getting your car dialed in just right. The whole process of downloading the software and hooking your car up to a laptop seems like a PITA, but once you've followed the directions it's actually pretty straight forward.

86Fbody

Established Member
I just got done data logging and I think when I get some more time and money I will do some more. Like rosem32 said it is pretty essential and if you have a shop with a dyno it isn't expensive to get the pulls done.

senderofan

Established Member
I just got done data logging and I think when I get some more time and money I will do some more. Like rosem32 said it is pretty essential and if you have a shop with a dyno it isn't expensive to get the pulls done.

But I think there is tremendous value in data logging your vehicle.....with your fuel....in your environmental conditions while running on your roads. Tuning on a set of rollers with fans blowing.........probably close to your environment that you drive in....but not exact. My brother in law found out that on the street / track...he was running very lean when compared to running on the rollers. I found the remote tuning by Shaun to be tremendous......My Boss runs extremely well in my environment.....both street and track. The rollers will get you close....and perhaps give you bragging rights.......but on the track or street will give you accurate info. and tuning.

Wayne

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
But I think there is tremendous value in data logging your vehicle.....with your fuel....in your environmental conditions while running on your roads. Tuning on a set of rollers with fans blowing.........probably close to your environment that you drive in....but not exact. My brother in law found out that on the street / track...he was running very lean when compared to running on the rollers. I found the remote tuning by Shaun to be tremendous......My Boss runs extremely well in my environment.....both street and track.

Wayne
Good point, the reason I went on the rollers was because I didn't want to do the 5th gear pulls on the street. Now that the car is tuned I should continue to data log as long as Shaun will look at the logs to make sure the tune is as button up as it can be.

BUSHDIVING82

Established Member
Good point, the reason I went on the rollers was because I didn't want to do the 5th gear pulls on the street. Now that the car is tuned I should continue to data log as long as Shaun will look at the logs to make sure the tune is as button up as it can be.

You can do both your slow steady pull and WOT pull in 3rd gear...fyi. Find a back country road and let it rip!

DallasBoss

Established Member
5th is preferred for dyno tuning, because it is 1:1. For data logging on the street, 3rd or 4th is specified by Shaun. Either is fine. I did mine in 3rd, and my Boss absolutely rips! AED all the way

86Fbody

Established Member
5th is preferred for dyno tuning, because it is 1:1. For data logging on the street, 3rd or 4th is specified by Shaun. Either is fine. I did mine in 3rd, and my Boss absolutely rips! AED all the way
Gotcha, I must have miss read it. You aren't kidding about ripping, the race tune is pretty ridiculous!

tek302

Established Member

I also have aed, great customer service and I am always asking him for advice. My car runs beautiful.

Hey I see you have his e85 tune, how much did you gain from e85 swap? I'm thinking of doing it as well.

DallasBoss

Established Member
I also have aed, great customer service and I am always asking him for advice. My car runs beautiful.

Hey I see you have his e85 tune, how much did you gain from e85 swap? I'm thinking of doing it as well.

I'm not sure how much I gained with e85 over 93. The main reason I went with e85 was because my 93 octane data logs showed lots of knock activity, reduced timing, and thus less power. The only way I can get full timing with no knock on 93 is by mixing a few gallons of Sunoco 110 with each tank, that is unless gas quality has improved the last six months

Using e85 solves this problem. My data logs show zero knock and maximum timing. The e85 stations I use always have consistent 85% ethanol too.

I'm in North Dallas. There's not a lot of Boss owners out there so it's nice to meet one in person! I'm gonna try and make some car shows this summer.

DallasBoss

Established Member
Gotcha, I must have miss read it. You aren't kidding about ripping, the race tune is pretty ridiculous!

I've got a cobra jet intake I need to get around to installing. I hear Boss motors respond really well to CJ setups. Should run really strong with my Kooks headers.

tek302

Established Member
I'm not sure how much I gained with e85 over 93. The main reason I went with e85 was because my 93 octane data logs showed lots of knock activity, reduced timing, and thus less power. The only way I can get full timing with no knock on 93 is by mixing a few gallons of Sunoco 110 with each tank, that is unless gas quality has improved the last six months

Using e85 solves this problem. My data logs show zero knock and maximum timing. The e85 stations I use always have consistent 85% ethanol too.

I'm in North Dallas. There's not a lot of Boss owners out there so it's nice to meet one in person! I'm gonna try and make some car shows this summer.

I had the same fuel issues as well. I swapped to F150 Ecoboost PCV, after I did that, it went back to normal. I want to do e85 for sure though.

Just this transmission has me shaken. I don't want to drop money on it just to have the transmission keep breaking

Users who are viewing this thread