Best Way To Gently Remove Overspray

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
OK, I just had my front bumper repainted under warranty and there's a little bit of overspray that wound up on the tops of the back bumper and trunk. Must have been from a nearby paint job they were doing at the same time.

Now, I could just take it back and have them buff it out, but I would feel more comfortable finding a gentler way of doing so myself by hand.

Any suggestions?

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
possibly clay-bar?? Might also do a light hand rub of a light-duty rubbing compound. (I reccomend wax-shops safe cut) and see where you get.

Z-COBRA

Bling & Zing
Established Member
1500 grit (wet sanded) paper will do it and then you can buff it with polishing compound.I did the same when I put a gouge in my bumper and had some overspray.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Thanks! Both good suggestions! I think I might sand down with 1500 grit followed by a light compound or metal polish. :beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Scott P said:
Using clay would be your safest option.

Thanks! I just happen to have a bar sitting in the garage. I just don't like them buffing it down with a mega buffer every time there's some overspray.

1BAD2K

Established Member
Scott P said:
Using clay would be your safest option.
yes and it would work perfectly. please do not use sand paper for light oberspray. :bash:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
1BAD2K said:
yes and it would work perfectly. please do not use sand paper for light oberspray. :bash:

Well, 1500 grid isn't exactly something you think about when using a belt sander.

1BAD2K

Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
Well, 1500 grid isn't exactly something you think about when using a belt sander.
true but it is in comparison to clay bar. try it first. it will in no way harm your finish, especially if it is a new bar. :pepper:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Definately go with the clay. Clay is maybe the greatest detail product ever. Well, at least I think so.

SA SNAKE

Established Member
I had some overspray from a repainted front bumper. I just used some mequires detail type spray (Not sure the name off top of my head) and a microfiber cloth.

Users who are viewing this thread