Best way to launch in the cold on stock F1s

Mowgli

Established Member
Slip clutch from 1700rpm?
Slip from 2500rpm?
Drop it from 2000rpm?

I'm running a friend in an 00 SS next weekend at a track thats known for crappy prep. He's run a G-Tech best of 12.54 when he didn't spin his tires. He's running the exact same tires and size I am: Eagle F1, 274/40ZR-17.

I am still stock except for a K&N and intake snorkel removed. Probably dynoing mid 360s.

Just looking to not make a fool of myself. I would already have wintered the car away if not for this last run, so I know jack about launching well in the cold.

Any help appreciated.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Take my advice with a grain of salt because I haven't even been to a track, but I feel like I launch better when I ease into it at 1500 to 1700. (meaning ease off the clutch and ease into the gas at the same time). The car will jump if you do it right and once you've got the momentum started you can start heading south with the gas pedal pretty quick (although if you slam it, you'll likely break free).

My car is stock except for the K&N drop in.

1IDSPTTR

Established Member
Tell the truth...

Don't lie to the man, Elapidae! What about the boost bypass???
;-)

Allan

Evilcartman

Established Member
Good luck getting out of the whole againest a SS. Our cars rock once they get rolling, but the launching is the trick. Being that our 1st gear redlines at 53 MPH, it makes it hard getting that 3,600 lb beast moving. I have been to the track twice and you can see in my videos that almost everyone gets me out of the whole, when I was on F1's. But I beat most cars I was up againest.

Tires or gears on this car make real big differences. The SS has a lot of low end torque. I raced a "close to stock" Z28 one with Nitto's back when I had my F1's still. He pulled 2-3 links right away one me. But once I hit second gear I put 10 on him up to the top of 4th.

My advice from what I have found. Lower your F1's to 15-20 PSI in the rear. Make sure the front ones have at least 35 PSI. Try a launch at 1,000 rpm and shift at 6,200. Just my 2 cents:)

Oh yeah, and if he beats you and you want to get even. Get a L pulley and then you will have nothing to worry about. Plus, if he inspects your car, he won't be able to tell the difference.

Good luck.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Re: Tell the truth...

Originally posted by 1IDSPTTR
Don't lie to the man, Elapidae! What about the boost bypass???
;-)

Allan

Damn!!! I forgot about that. What's that worth again... About 100 hp right ;-)

Mowgli

Established Member
Thanks for the advice folks. Going to go out and practice this tonight, but its dang warm out here in Ohio today for some reason.

Indian summer...

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
.....never ever drop the clutch.

I'll second that. Otherwise, you're up in smoke. :burnout: I slip the clutch off the line; then, after it's rolling, I push the accerator to the floor. Notice I said "push" not "slam"; I have "slammed" it to the floor, while rolling in first gear, and proceeded to roast the tires. You can't get into boost too quickly in first gear.

Of course this is just my technique; everyone has their own.

Users who are viewing this thread