Best way to put long block in?

01cobracmdr

Established Member
I just got my motor together, 5.0 stroker, and I'm putting in back in my 01 Cobra. It has BBK LTs and I'm wondering what the best way to put it back in the car is. Remove the trans? And past experience and advice on how to do it would help out. Thanks.

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
I think everyone has their own preferred way of doing it, but I like to drop in the trans and engine assembly into the car from the top. Others like to drop the K-member and then raise the engine back into the car from the bottom. Personally, that seems like way too much work. It's a tight fit no matter how you go, though, so take your time and try to find a friend or two to help watch everything as the engine goes in.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
People on here say it can be done from the top with the trans and long tube headers but I've dropped one in and pulled it out and both times I had to remove the Mac headers to get it in/out.

I even loosened the k member bolts and dropped it down some to help when removing the engine but I still had to remove the headers.

My solution to the problem was to call Zach @ thet45source.com and order the t45 front cover. Roush-Yates had the best price I could find on the QuickTime bell housing so I ordered one from them. This will fix several issues with the t45, one of not being able to remove the trans from the bell housing, two not being able to drop the trans without loosening a header, three being able to remove the trans off the back of the engine to ease removal and installation of the engine.

This isn't practical for a street car, but I needed to be able to quickly drop the trans out at
the track if it breaks. My plan is to go through my spare t45 and then haul it along to the track.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I've always done the trans from the bottom but the engine from the top. With the long tubes on and tight. I can get it in in half an hour by myself doing it that way. The first time wasn't that fast though.

CJK440

Established Member
From the top assembled to the tranny (no shifter of course) with mac long tube headers. You need a load leveler jacked as far as it can go. Wrap the tail of the tranny with a towel then stuff it into the tranny tunnel. As you lower and push the hoist in, the tranny will guide itself while not scratching the tunnel paint. Once its in far enough use a jack on the tranny to lift the tranny and level it out.

I did it over the winter and it was a one man job.

Users who are viewing this thread