Best way to remove rounded bolts?? Frustrated......Please help!

TRBO VNM

Thanks for the replies guys! Finally got it off! We were actually able to fit a a hacksaw between the spacer and the bracket and saw the first bolt off. Then took some vice grips and unscrewed the bolt. Then turned the bracket on the other bolt abit and it loosened enough to back it out with an extractor. No damage to the spacers, bracket or timing cover. Think I'm going to get some different bolts that will fit the bracket and cover. What should I use and what head type can I use so this doesn't happen again?

Wait, I don't understand how you had a gap between the bracket and spacer? Was the bolt loose already? Because there should be no gap.

tmkr03

Established Member
Look for a tool called socket it out. It's a tapered Allen hex that you pound in the hex of a S.H.C.S. Put a wrench on it and about 90% of the time they come out.http://www.sockitout.com no drill required.

Use them at work all the time.

If you use a easy out they tend to break and then you need a carbide drill to drill that out.

71catruck

Established Member
OP glad you got it out and didn't have to destroy your bracket in the first place. SlowSVT just admit for once you didn't have the best idea.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Wait, I don't understand how you had a gap between the bracket and spacer? Was the bolt loose already? Because there should be no gap.

After we had been drilling on the damn bolt for awhile it shifted enough to create a small gap between the spacer and the bracket. Was barely able to fit the hack saw in between it. Originally, no there was no gap, but I was prepared to cut the spacer anyway and just replace it. Just glad I didn't have to.

Users who are viewing this thread