Best way to test stock fuel pumps

Brands5.0

Established Member
Just installed a 2013 TVS with 2.4 pulley and 72lbs injectors. I got a tune from VMP and put it on the dyno to check a/f. After sending a data log to Justin he asked me to check my fuel pumps fuses as my car is running out of fuel really early.

Fuses and relays look good.

To test the fuel pumps would pulling the fuse and relay for each pump and staring the car be a good test? Will the car start on one pump?

Thanks for any advise.

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
I would advise pulling the pump hat and looking at the filter sock and pumps. Also, have you changed your fuel filter recently?

I found a nice surprise when I installed my TVS and fuel pump duty cycle was off the charts at 5k rpm:

20130505_141239_zps1d3f4f18.gif

20130505_140311_zpsaf96b9c8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
All of it. Note that my car had been sitting for a loooong time, actually since 2007 when it was new. I bought it with <400 miles on it, which definitely contributed to the mess you see. But I'd check anyway, since it's so easy to pull the hat.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Just installed a 2013 TVS with 2.4 pulley and 72lbs injectors. I got a tune from VMP and put it on the dyno to check a/f. After sending a data log to Justin he asked me to check my fuel pumps fuses as my car is running out of fuel really early.

Fuses and relays look good.

To test the fuel pumps would pulling the fuse and relay for each pump and staring the car be a good test? Will the car start on one pump?

Thanks for any advise.

Look in your supplement. Looking for the fuse that runs #2 pump. If you don't have heated seats, it's that position.

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
Many here have discovered a new fuel filter can inprove fuel flow when data logging shows fuel run out early.

Iam about to put a bap in next month because mine tuner said mine pump voltage drop and about to max out above 4500 rpm. Iam making 659 with 16 psi boost on tvs blower with 56 lbs inj. 11.7 AFR until 6200 rpm. So u saying i should change filter and check fuse before doing a bap ? Mine car had 8k miles on it.

Last edited:

BilletProShop

Established Member
make it even simpler, disconnect the fuel pump fpdm's , easily accessible from the trunk and you won't have to worry about pulling the wrong fuse
and yes the car will run on a single pump

Last edited:

DaFreak

Established Member
Damn boogie. Looks like a hang over morning. I have a new fuel filter waiting for install and a new tvs going on. Maybe I'll include the filter as part of the install.

enormous

Established Member
Iam about to put a bap in next month because mine tuner said mine pump voltage drop and about to max out above 4500 rpm. Iam making 659 with 16 psi boost on tvs blower with 56 lbs inj. 11.7 AFR until 6200 rpm. So u saying i should change filter and check fuse before doing a bap ? Mine car had 8k miles on it.
Ever since my TVS/BAP went on with a 2.4 pulley I change my fuel filter yearly because getting sufficient fuel is important. Why take chances the way I see it.

Brands5.0

Established Member
Fuel pumps pulled and inspected I tested each fuel pump with the fpdm disconnected both work independently and i changed the fuel filter.

Fuel that came out of the filter was nasty and i have to admit i had never changed it, it had 56k miles on it.

Question could this have caused the car to run out of fuel? Seems likely.

fullboogie

Established Member
Absolutely! I think you may have found your problem. Keep in mind, I'd datalog FP and injector duty cycle again. You may find that you still need a BAP.

fullboogie

Established Member
Damn boogie. Looks like a hang over morning.

Funny you should say that - I discovered that mess when I was hung over like a mofo. There is nothing worse than dicking around with fuel vapors all day when you're hung over.

Users who are viewing this thread