Best way to trace exhaust leak?

V-Sicks

Established Member
I believe I have a leak coming coming from where is x pipe meets the manifolds. It makes a noice when i let off the gas like air is being pushed out underneath the car somewhere. What's the best way to try and find this leak?

mustanginky

Established Member
put on jackstands (safely) car in neutral and start er up and listen around underneath the car. Only way i 100% know for sure. That or soapy water when it's cold to show you the exact location of the leak, but you'd have to do it fast or it'd just evaporate really quickly.

V-Sicks

Established Member
put on jackstands (safely) car in neutral and start er up and listen around underneath the car. Only way i 100% know for sure. That or soapy water when it's cold to show you the exact location of the leak, but you'd have to do it fast or it'd just evaporate really quickly.

thanks man. where abouts in ky are you? Im in the lex area

mustanginky

Established Member
i'm in La Grange, about 80 miles away. I go to lexington every once in a while, friend down there is a cop, and i just went to rascall flatts over last weekend.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I've also seen some use a lighter. just watch the flame as you move it around the joints. like checking a leaky window in you home.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
If it is leaking, you should see some type of carbon build up near the leak. I too would put the car on 4 jackstands, or maybe a lift at a shop and feel around the joints.

Users who are viewing this thread