Best / Worse 1/4 mile 99 cobra run time

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
What was your short (60') time?

13.8 @ 102.5 doesn't sound horrible, considering the weather conditions. Also, what tires are you running?

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
on that best run was 2.193 60 ft. 275/40/17 some English tires? When I hit 2nd the wheel hop was so bad I thought I was going to brake something. I even got one of those braces! 99-01 irs suck imo.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by brad65ford
on that best run was 2.193 60 ft. 275/40/17 some English tires
Cut that down to 2.0 and I see a 13.4-13.5 in your future. :-D

P.S.
I, too, run 275/40 on the stock 8" rim, but I don't think that is optimal for the track. They sure look good, but I think there is too much sidewall flex. My RE730s stick like crazy with the solid axle (relatively inexpensive, as well)...

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I like the way you think Blue98Cobra, I wish I had solid alxe in my car. O, what do ya think of this? I was talking with a friend which he believes that I could switch my 88 rear(which is out of a 95 cobra) with my 99 cobra. I told him that the 95 rear would fit buy I would need to get different control arm for 94 and up pony's. And the Cobra IRS mounting point wouldn't line-up on my 88 gt. He states that the IRS has two mounting point on each side unlike the 79-98 mustang which have 3 including the quad stock which the IRS is attached to. Just something to think about, tell me my mind doesn't wonder! That would be pretty cool to have a fox mustang with IRS,

:coolman:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I believe Bob Cosby swapped out his IRS for an 8.8 solid...(and the Corral.net will have a wealth of info about the swap). He runs elevens with a N/A, stock internal, bolt-on '99 (with 4.56s).

It may be a pain-in-the-ass, but it can (and has, many times) be done...

Good luck and, as always, "Tell us how you do"-DLR

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
I don't feel so bad anymore ..... My best has been 13.8 @102.4 .... Worst is probably around a 14.1 @ 100 .... I have never run the car in anything but summer heat ..... Crappy Comp T/As out back also ....

Maybe here is the potential for some good times in the future !!

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
My worst run was this past thursday. 15.9 @ 92. Take a step back and catch your breath. The car hopped so bad on the 1-2 shift that it started to hop sideways,I got out of it,back in it and still beat a fox body that ran a 16.5. That was the first run of the day. Last run,a couple hours later,in the evening hours,was a 13.24 @ 103.78. Steeda tri-ax,k&n air filter and running straight off the h-pipe (long story).

ZincYellowCobra

Established Member
Best: 13.4 @ 104 / 2.20 60'
Worst: 13.9 @ 102 / 2.25 60'

Tried to take it out to the track again this past weekend.. as soon as I drove up to the track, it started pouring rain :(

Exodus

I took mine to the track for the first time this past friday.My best of the night was a 13.39@107 my worst was a [email protected] 60's were 2.20's.

As for the solid axle swap I should be trading mine out for a solid from a '99 GT within 2 weeks.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
why is the IRS so bad?? super coupes have'em and there is run running 12.1 and weighs 4100lbs....so why is the IRS so bad???

ZincYellowCobra

Established Member
I can sum it up into 2 words - WHEEL HOP.

The 99 and 01 Cobras have it bad. I have a friend with an 03 - who has virtually no wheel hop. I decided to read up on it and it seems that Ford made a few changes to the 03's - changes that work.. The bad thing is, you can not get those parts from Ford - not yet anyway - at least that is what my service guy @ Tommie Vaughn Ford is telling me..

As far as my snake goes - an IRS brace, stiffer springs and polyurethane differential bushings will be my next mods. I just got a set of nittos for the rear but I haven't had a dry day to test them out at the track...

Corral.net 2003 Cobra article

"Changes have been made to the 2003 SVT Cobra's IRS to further refine the third generation unit. Revised bushing and mount rates combined with the new spring rates should help reduce deflection in the many different IRS components. A new tubular cross-brace is mounted to the differential to reduce wheel hop by stabilizing the differential under hard acceleration."

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
3rd Gen IRS?? I know the TBird was the first Ford product with it?? So is TBird IRS 1st Gen?? 99/01 Snakes 2nd Gen?

BTW Thanks for the info!!

And heres a pic of the 4100lb IRS SC that runs the 12.1 @ 110
CMRESC-1.JPG

Last edited:

Coop

XTreme Tech
Established Member
Mostly broken half-shafts.

I can hit mid 11's and then mine start letting go. It's only the initial drag strip launch on sticky tires that does them in, though. On the open track, no issues with the IRS.

No wheel hop here, BTW (street or track).

Still using returnless fuel setup and independent rear!
570rwhp/466tq on only 10.5 psi boost, 93 octane pump gas tune.
Official 1/4 mile: [email protected] 1.81 60' (limited only by the half-shafts and hot weather)
A 10 sec capable car!

A Cobra on the surface, a Viper underneath!
side1a.jpg
engine1a.jpg
coilover1b.jpg

Exterior - larger view || -- Engine-zoom in -- ||Chassis/Suspension

Other stuff (partial list):
T-56 R&R guide tube
T-56 R&R input shaft breakage
Spring cleaning

http://www.svttexas.com

LSs1Power

Established Member
Originally posted by Exodus
I took mine to the track for the first time this past friday.My best of the night was a 13.39@107 my worst was a [email protected] 60's were 2.20's.

As for the solid axle swap I should be trading mine out for a solid from a '99 GT within 2 weeks.

Wow ur trapspeed is great for a 99-01 Cobra... List ur mods?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I understand the wheel hop, but if a 4100lb car can pull the wheels off of the ground with IRS, why not a cobra??

CobraMan99

Established Member
Hey Coop,Id like to make a comment about under your hood..its so beautiful..it brought a tear to my eye.. have anymore pics on your car..tryin to see what it looks like from the side cause i want to put the Cobra R bumper on mine.

nasty99snake

Established Member
Best time:

13.09@107MPH (This was before my JMS Chip, Densecharger, Pro-M 80mm MAF and PHP brace) (RWHP at time of run 291 RWHP now 320RWHP).

My best 60' is 1.900, but during that run I hit the RPM limiter on 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift (power shifting) (That was with the Brace only)

I know that the car has 12.99 potential or even lower....we will see soon!!!!

As far as half-shafts I broke my passenger side once!!!! With no wheel hop just one mean HOOK!!

Nazman

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread