Best year of Gen 2

RARESNAKE

Established Member
Planning on buying a second gen lightning this year. What year is the best and what you pros and cons?

Thanks
Any help is appreciated

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Check the FAQ, for more detail but pretty much 03-04 are the best years, 01-02 are right behind them lacking only a few little interior bits.

extremeways

Established Member
Pay special attention to this note in the FAQ:

"99 to late 02 have 3-4 threads in the cylinder heads for the spark plugs, 02+ have 8-9 threads and are less prone to spark plug blow out."

My '02 came with the 4-thread heads and spit out a spark plug, which ended up being a costly repair. So I personally would recommend a newer model year with the 8-thread heads, so you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise, check your spark plug tightness regularly.

4a7191a

Established Member
I'd recommend an 03-04 as well for the 8 thread heads.
When I build my 01 lightning I pretty much have to upgrade.

Dusten

Established Member
Pay special attention to this note in the FAQ:

"99 to late 02 have 3-4 threads in the cylinder heads for the spark plugs, 02+ have 8-9 threads and are less prone to spark plug blow out."

My '02 came with the 4-thread heads and spit out a spark plug, which ended up being a costly repair. So I personally would recommend a newer model year with the 8-thread heads, so you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise, check your spark plug tightness regularly.
proper torque... My 01 never had issues with plugs because I know how to do proper maintenance.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
My vote is 02, as it was the only year true blue was offered for the L. "Best" is obviously an extremely subjective term.

I never had a blown plug either, and I made about as much as you'd want to make on a stock block.

Last edited:

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Got 4 thread heads on our 03 Cobra with 17psi of boost. No problems. Like already said, proper torque. Im biased to the 04 Lightning for the best year though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread