Best years for used Focus?

MattN03

03RCODE
Established Member
My sister is looking for a used car and has mentioned a Focus. Non of them are SVT's, but I thought someone might have some good recommendations. I'm interested in knowing the best years & models, any common problems, and any other info that can be provided. The car will have to be an automatic also. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
I'd say go with 2002 or newer, and look at the build date to see if the car has the 5yr/100K powertrain wrty. Since 2002, there have been very few issues(recalls, bulletins). Whenever I sell a pre-owned Focus, I make sure it's a 2002 or newer. Also, check under the hood, if it's the Zetec she'll likely have years of trouble free use. The SPI is a little louder, and less powerful. Better fuel mileage with the SPI though, even though they are both 2.0L. Good luck, the Focus is a great car! I sell tons! E-

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by elliot400
I'd say go with 2002 or newer, and look at the build date to see if the car has the 5yr/100K powertrain wrty. Since 2002, there have been very few issues(recalls, bulletins). Whenever I sell a pre-owned Focus, I make sure it's a 2002 or newer. Also, check under the hood, if it's the Zetec she'll likely have years of trouble free use. The SPI is a little louder, and less powerful. Better fuel mileage with the SPI though, even though they are both 2.0L. Good luck, the Focus is a great car! I sell tons! E-

Word:beer:

Tell1331

Established Member
I would say find a good 02 with low mileage or get an 03 with the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

You will pay a couple thousand less for an 02 but you don't get the extra warranty, but I guess you could buy one with the savings if it is a big deal.

Good luck!

:-D

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
Some 02s(later dates) do carry the 5/100K powertrain. I'm pretty sure because I don't think I missed it by more than a couple months. Not that I'd expect a warrantable repair now!! HA!! E-

Users who are viewing this thread