BF Diff brace to close to catback?

Romans8:28

Established Member
I installed a bf differential cover brace today (great piece btw)... it ended up about 1/16" away from the passenger side Borla Stinger catback. When driving there is no rattle or clanging/banging over bumps, and best I can tell the two objects are not hitting each other.......

So opinions, is it "OK" being that close?

I would prefer not adjusting the exhaust system or grinding on the new brace, if being close is no big deal

dougwg

Established Member
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And the thread tittle should read:
"Borla didn't make their cat back with enough clearence for an IRS Brace" ;-)

QWKRN U

1 0f 72 Build #159
Established Member
I have a steeda/Borla Cat back and no clearance issues's. MY BF brace fits fine. Must be a stinger thing.....

everyman

smoke 'em
Stinger fits close to differential and has angled slip joints that allow a lot of adjustment.

Play with it

BWH2003

Established Member
My borla did have issues so I assume that it is a borla thing. I did notice though that part of the brace extends way down so a notch out of it wont hurt it. The part that hangs down is made to go under the diff but it was about 3 inches to low on mine.

I took the easy route. Just adjust your catback. With borla it is super easy. There are three adjust points and trust me you can get it to move away from the brace. I did and it took about 45 min to do it right. Now its at least 3-4 inches away from the brace.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
The catback adjusts easily with wrenches and a little time.
Takes a semiauto 308 to "adjust" the brace, right sunny-d?

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup:

I think I will drive the car for a few days, then take a look and see if there is any evidence of the two contacting each other........ I will adjust the exhaust if it needs to be done.

N S

Wants to go faster
Established Member
Have the same problem with mine (Bassani). Thinking I might notch the bottom part of the brace with a surface grinder.

Established Member
an update:

after driving many times and many ways (going over bumps, hard launches, etc), the two items don't seem to ever actually come in contact. There is no evidence of them touching........ exhaust pipe is fine and so is brace.

I think I will just leave it alone :thumbsup:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
let's just say the two did touch and it rattled once and a while

what could you use to stop the rattle? high temp rubber?

Dewalt03Cobra

NASCAR Fanatic
Established Member
Mine was the same way when I first put it on (Borla's were actually touching the brace bottom). It's easy to fix though. You loosen the clamps that hold the muffler section of pipe and rotate the muffler up towards the car. This brings the elbow down and away from the brace. Mine came down about 3/4". I could have brought it down more but my car is lowered and I didn't want any clearance issues. Even with the pipes like that they still aren't the lowest point on the car. The Factory K-Member brace sits about 1/2"to1" lower.

hurtindude

Banned
Romans8:28 said:
I installed a bf differential cover brace today (great piece btw)... it ended up about 1/16" away from the passenger side Borla Stinger catback. When driving there is no rattle or clanging/banging over bumps, and best I can tell the two objects are not hitting each other.......

So opinions, is it "OK" being that close?

I would prefer not adjusting the exhaust system or grinding on the new brace, if being close is no big deal

i have a bassani cat backm, and a steeda diff brace. Very very close to passenger side pipe, but no rattle. No marks on pipe or brace from impacts. Like the man said, if it aint broke.

Users who are viewing this thread