BF idler pulley question

army_man1014

Established Member
Hey SVTP,

Before i get flamed, I did search and didn't find anything. I had a squeaky bearing so i wanted to change out the bearing for a new one at NAPA instead of buying a whole new setup. Well i took the bolt off that holds the pulley. When i attempted to take off the bolt that holds the mount it snapped off. WTF. So now the idler pulley is out and repaired but i cant ez-out that bolt. It broke off inside where it goes into. Its just getting worse as I attempt to get it out.

Is there anything i can do to get this out. I attempted a screw extractor and a EZ out.

Also the belt is pretty tight without it on. Do i need the idler on to run the car or can i drive it still like it is?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Canebrake

Velocity Junkie
Established Member
I would not drive it without the idler. Sounds like you're going to have to drill it out with progressively larger bits until you can back it out. Failing that, drill it and tap it.

army_man1014

Established Member
well i went out and bought some cobalt drill bits to see if I could drill out the broken bolt..Well that was a no-go. So I had to pull off that entire assembly that the pulleys bolt up to and also a few other things. took me about an hour but i did it. So tomorrow i will be at a machine shop so they can drill out the bolt with a press.

So the car will be down a few days cause i know its going to be a pain in the ass putting this back together and putting the belt back on.

Users who are viewing this thread