BFG 315/35/17 on stock rim??

TheBigHrn

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Im hearing some mixed info on whether or not you can pull off 315/35/17 BFG Dr's on the stock rim, w/ no spacer or shaving???

What are the pros/cons to this, and if anyone has this setup, please show some pictures!!!!

Thanks,
John

jeffsvt

Established Member
I had a friend of mine that tried it and they would not clear . Plus not to mention the tire looks like ass on a 9" wheel because it bulges so much .

TheBigHrn

Established Member
I dont know, I might actually like the bulge.... I think it would be pretty cool, and I know I would get a lot of people going WTF is wrong w/ that car!!! But in a good way!!! Could someone please enter some pictures i want to see em really badly!

SCmust04

Established Member
well, I went ahead and and slapped on some 315 BFG's. :burnout: Didnt think it was possible, but they fit! although you might have to shave some.(no biggie) .they look sort of strange at first, but after a while they look kinda cool I guess.!I havent gotten one bad complaint on them. I like to see the reactions of people when they see those huge tires bulging out!!they always have this "holy sh*t" look on their face. my D-camera is acting up, I'll see if I can get some pics for you.

ModsAway

Established Member
personally I think it looks dumb.... anything non-functional especially on a car like this is just plain silly....

In addition I've heard issues of people spinning the tire on the rim because it is not fitted properly. I don't know if this is just dangerous or will ruin the tire as well.

A set of replica 10.5 inch wheels for the rear of your car are not that expensive and imho will look a 1000 times better.

Lastly and most importantly with a 10.5 inch wheel you will actually get more contact patch not just bulge from the larger tires. Why get 315's if none of it is touching the ground?

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Yeah we can use my camera. I'll give you a call tomorrow (Friday) and we can meet up. I have class from 5:00-9:20 tonight so it'll be too much of a pain to do it today.

Chris

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I would say they would be too wide.

Nitto 315's are a tad narrower.

It would be a wise investment if you got some 10.5's for the BFG 315's. You will have to shave the bolt and probably get some spacers.

OnceBitten

Established Member
I ran 315/35 Nitto's on my 17x9 Cobra R wheels back when I had my 97 Cobra. They are significantly narrower than the BFGs, and they still bulged and didn't have enough of a contact patch. You'd be MUCH happier with a 275/40 BFG drag radial on your factory wheel. You're going to hook better than the 315 on the same wheel because your contact patch will actually be larger.

If you're dead set on the 315, do as several other suggested and run a 10.5" AFS wheel in the back. I'm still debating on whether to run 275/40 MT ET Street Radials on my stock wheels or get the 10.5" AFS for 315/35 BFGs. It's one or the other...not a half-assed combination of both.

Fordy

Established Member
What mods would its take to fit 335/35/18's on an 03 cobra. Will 10.5 inch wheels work fine, or would an 11 inch be better?

OnceBitten

Established Member
335 won't fit "correctly" on a 10.5" rim. You really need at least an 11" to fit a tire that big properly. At that point you're going to run into problems with clearance between the IRS components and your fender flares. Unless you just HAVE to have the bigger tire, I'd stick with a 295/35 or 305/35 at the most. The 295 fits great on a 10" rim. That's what I ran on my 97 Cobra with 18x10 Saleen wheels.

TRBO VNM

I have the 315 BFG's on stock rims I use for the track and have no rubbing problems and haven't shaved the bolt or anything. When the car is jacked up and putting them on, they do rub, but once lowered back down there is no problem at all since the suspension is compressed again.

I think they look great.

Last edited:

OnceBitten

Established Member
WUTWINE said:
I have the 315 BFG's on stock rims I use for the track and have no rubbing problems and haven't shaved the bolt or anything. When the car is jacked up and putting them on, they do rub, but once lowered back down there is no problem at all since the suspension is compressed again.

I think they look great.

No offense, but looks great and fits great are two different things. I always thought the 315 Nittos looked great on 17x9 wheels, but the contact patch sucked unless you aired them down to 15psi. In a real world scenario, you've got 20% less contact patch than you should have. Buy the appropriate tire for your wheel and you'll be a much happier (and better hooking) camper.

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Sorry I never got around to taking a picture of Jesus' car this weekend. Wasn't feeling all that good. I will try and get those pictures this week so you guys can see them.

Chris

TRBO VNM

OnceBitten said:
No offense, but looks great and fits great are two different things. I always thought the 315 Nittos looked great on 17x9 wheels, but the contact patch sucked unless you aired them down to 15psi. In a real world scenario, you've got 20% less contact patch than you should have. Buy the appropriate tire for your wheel and you'll be a much happier (and better hooking) camper.

I only use them for the track. I don't and would not drive around daily like that. I agree you should buy the correct size for the rim, but for a track only tire for myself, it is fine. and I run them at 15-16psi anyway. hooking, I pull sub 1.6 shorts with them and I have pulled 1.5x shorts with the same setup I borrowed from a friend before I got mine. so I have no problem hooking. BFG's suck on the street anyway and I have only seen one post where someone pulled a good short time with the nitto's at the track. to each his own I guess.

ModsAway

Established Member
I agree that the BFG is not a good street tire, I wouldn't want to drive with them in the rain. Definately a better 'drag' radial than the nitto though if drag racing is your interest.

Users who are viewing this thread